Monday, June 7, 2010

Munster-an-der-Ortze

Wednesday, June 25, 1650

So, having reaching Hildesheim Monday night, on Tuesday the carriage proceeded north, re-entering the lands of Calenburg for the second time. Upon coming to the border, the party is confronted by another patrol - one that is more friendly, more routine, who merely wants to know where the party is heading. It occurs that the party that this might be a time to ask directions to the keep, to learn (perhaps for the second time) that the place the party wishes to do is northeast of Soldau, northwest of Munster-an-der-Ortze, and southwest of Luneburn, upon the border of the Principality of Verden, that being territory retained by the Swedish crown following the end of the 30 Years War.

The party is told that they can reach their destination by means of a narrow cobbled road between Munster and Soldau; that upon that road there is a tower in disrepair that stands at a fork, and that the right fork will climb into a group of low hills and into a glen fed by nothing more than a little watercourse (not shown on the map) that is called the Aller, and that it is three miles north of a Hamlet called Winsen.

The party will reach Munster midday on Wednesday; I stop there, because it is the last point before entering into the forest.  So if there are any last things desired, now would be the time to purchase them.  It can be seen from the map that the area being entered is somewhat wild, deciduous forest; the picture is of the Aller River, but it would not likely be maintained this well at the time of the game.  I include it here to identify the size.

(OOC:  I do not have a table generated for prices, but in this case I think we can be flexible, in the interest of keeping the campaign moving, and assume that the prices will change when I can generate the table (my tables are in disarray because I am trying to add Norway and the Low Countries to them).  So please use the last table I generated, and presume that the only things available are those found at the 'Town Market.'  As a sidenote, I like that I can select certain tables to be used for small towns, keeping the unrestricted table for use in the large, market cities.)

18 comments:

Andrej said...

(OOC: I've deducted food for Monday through Wednesday. Being as we're now rather short on food, we'll need to at least provision ourselves in Munster. I no longer have access to my home mail at work, so I don't have the prices handy. Tonight I will check and deduct the proper coin amounts between Avel and I, but in the meantime can we say we'll purchase 1 sack each of flour, beets, turnips and potatoes and some amount of beer, salt and linseed oil depending on cost and move things along from there?)

(OOC: I'll be travelling for work this week and will probably be unable to play Wedensday through Friday as a result)

Andrej will make arrangements as above and otherwise prepare for the trip on the road between here and Soldau.

Andrej said...

P.S. - Avel, I count 2 sp each for tolls since last, so if we each pay 3 silvers, Emmanuel is covered.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Let's presume that the prices will be charged retroactively.

Remember, as a DM I want to give the party an opportunity to request other information, and I don't want to force the party along the road I've named. It is only one option. The party has the option of moving on to Luneburg and seeking additional information there. I could have simply continued on to the destination, but I want the party to have a choice.

As it happens, my Boss' grandfather has passed away and I am going to be holding the bag here at the office for the rest of the week. Spontaneous responsibility, I love it)

Andrej said...

Good point. Could you describe Munster to us a bit more. How large is the town? Is there an inn or taverns? What other noticeable features are there?

Alexis said...

It's a good point. There is a couple of Inns, namely The Single Shaft and The New Inn - so you have access to the Innkeeper table on the equipment list as well.

Munster is a small town, perhaps fifty houses (remembering this is Germany and 'houses' are 4-floor apartment blocks), really only a way-station and market center for goods that are passing through or being collected for the markets in Hamburg or Luneburg. Beyond that, a very quaint, quiet village surrounded by wild areas, mixed forest and heathlands that extends to the sea. I've added a picture.

Andrej said...

Andrej shall make his way to The Single Shaft after purchasing the foodstuff at the market. He'll buy a beer and ask the tavernkeeper how the establishment was thusly named. He'll also make general inquiries about the area, asking after notbale happenings or rumors. Thirdly, he'll mention the party's task for Hornung and ask after the estate itself... specifically, would anybody local be familiar enough with the estate to know its current condition?

Alexis said...

The bartender/owner, a Frenchman named Roland, in his early 40s, will tell the tale, explaining that he was an archer with Garrauld's brigade when they marched on Bohemia in '31:

"There was a catapult on this tower, standing forty feet above the ground, givin' us what for, when they brought us forward to see what we archers to do to stop it, but we didn't have the range, we couldn't even see the catapult. It rained fire on us, balls as big as your head that hit the ground and broke apart in balls of fire - none of us had ever seen that before.

"But I got up closer, I did, and I saw this one man, and he had a torch, and I said to myself, that's the one lighting the balls ... so I took aim and made the shot of my life. I caught him in the side, just under his arm, between his armor, and he fell forward and disappeared.

"Well he must have dropped that torch, cause suddenly there was fire on the top of that tower. All the while my comrades were callin' me back, but I couldn't take my eyes off that fire. Then the whole top of the tower blew to pieces, just like a puffball when you blow hard on it - and I was awfully close, and pieces of stone and metal were fallin' all around me, but I wasn't hit at all.

"Once that tower was gone, it were nothin' to bring down the whole castle. So that's why this Inn's called that. Sometimes a single arrow is all that's needed."

Andrej said...

Andrej will show that he apreciates both the tale and its teller (OOC: as do I!) then begins his questions regarding the area; specifically seeking to get news on the condition of Hornung's estate or identifying somebody locally that would know more.

Alexis said...

Roland will ask the Inn's tavern in general, and an old man, something between sixty-five and ninety, will call back,

"Ah, no one's been down to that place since Lord Hornung's death; his son went to the wars and never came back, and the land's fallen into ruin. Prolly the gatehouse is sound, but it wouldn't make a good roof now, be'en that no one's done a thing to build it up all this time."

Andrej said...

I thank the old man and buy him whatever he's drinking, paying the tavernkeeper. I then attempt to confirm with the old fellow that our directions there are sound. Assuming that they are, I return to Avel and Emmanuel and make ready to leave.

Alexis said...

The old man, Henrius, thinks so. But his memory isn't what it used to be ...

Alexis said...

Are you going to leave directly for the Gatehouse now, following the directions you've received?

Andrej said...

How long would Henrius (or other patrons) estimate the carriage ride should take? Am I correct to presume it is still midday on Wednesday or close thereabouts?

Avel said...

(Dammit, sorry, the internet ate my post again. I will also be going away this weekend, starting Friday morning.)

I will see to the horses and carriage. After that is done, I will buy lunch for myself and Emmanuel and wait for Andrej to be finished.

Alexis said...

Depending upon the quality of the road, perhaps a day to a day and a half. It is about 20 miles, but over much less easy surfaces than you've been travelling this past week.

(OOC: Avel, Andrej is already wrecked for Friday, and this week I am severely tied up at work. I've some time today to add pre-ready pics to my main blog, but not much time to think on things)

James C. said...

(OCC: I'm getting on the road for work tomorrow, so I'll even be touch and go before Friday while travelling. My vote is to leave Munster now and head for the gatehouse. If we can work some of that in this afternoon, all the better. If not, pick up next week then?)

Avel said...

(I'm fine with James's suggestion. I'm going to unavailable starting Thursday around noon)

Alexis said...

No problem; I have no encounters planned for the road. I'll put up the new post in which you'll find the gatehouse today.