Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Palatinate, SE of Nuremberg

Monday, June 16, 1650

You did, effectively, remain in Eichstatt an extra day while trying to find an appropriate person to identify the books you received from Robur.  And so now it is early afternoon as you travel the road to Nuremberg, joining with the main route towards your destination again.  The main road is well travelled - you regularly come across others heading south, and with the carriage you come up and overtake people upon the road in singles or in groups every hour.

The country you are moving through becomes a dense forest after rejoining the road SE of Nuremberg.  The number of people here that are not on the road drops off very quickly, and any farm cut along the side of the road - or sign of a castle or manor - becomes quite rare.  The land itself, from others you might ask along the way, is under the authority of 'the Upper Palatinate' ... this being a group of semi-independent knights who dwell scattered through the wild lands to the east of where you are.  They are nominally vassals of Bavaria.  Many of these knights are rumored to have fought against the Turks, or against the Spanish - and certainly against the Swedes in the late war.  They are catholics and highly devout, as well as reclusive in their habits.

These knights keep this road open, for although it is a major highway, the country on either side is largely wilderness, and populated by all kinds of creatures ... many of them roaming freely and occasionally striking at isolated travellers, especially late at night.

At any rate, this being the early afternoon, the carriage is waved down by a dwarf and his companions, four other men, one of whom seems to be fairly torn up - dried blood is evident upon one of his legs.  The dwarves are wearing clothes suitable for warmth and for climbing, and have various equipment with them suitable for that purpose - crampons, ice hammers and such.

44 comments:

Andrej said...

Andrej shall indicate to whomever is driving (Emmanuel or Avel) that he wishes to stop. If it's Emmanuel driving, I'd assume he'd just stop. If Avel, I await his move.

Alexis said...

Emmanuel is driving at present. He will pull back on the reins.

"Stranger," says the dwarf. "Please, we beg for your aid. We seek means to reach Nuremberg quickly."

Andrej said...

"What is your need, traveller. Perhaps aid is closer at hand."

Andrej will warn them away if they attempt tp approach any closer or mount the carriage.

Alexis said...

They do not. The speaker answers, "Our friend has been injured in a climbing accident; we seek the means to bring him to the town and thereby aid him."

Andrej said...

"I am a missionary of Christ and priest of the Roman church. If your troupe would join me in prayer, and make some small offering, I shall see that he is healed."

Alexis said...

The speaker excuses himself, and leans forward to talk quietly to the others; he will turn back and say,

"Good cleric, this service you offer would do well for us, but we do not believe that our companion needs any ordinary healing. We think it best to proceed to Nuremberg. Will you give us help to get there?"

Andrej said...

"I would be loathe to turn from one in need, traveller. But before my companions and I allow you passage to Nuermburg, we would know what ails your companion that defies my power to heal."

Alexis said...

The dwarf looks, at first, reluctant ... then greatly pained. "Sir Cleric, I confess I have never been able to lie. Our friend, Draden, did suffer from a fall; but worse, he was struck with a poison and we are at our wits end. Topen, our own holy man -" and at this point, Topen lifts his hand in greeting; "- has attempted to heal him, but to no avail. We must have the poison neutralized, and that depends upon our reaching Nuremberg. Unless, friend cleric, you are a man of such eminence that you might save our friend."

Andrej said...

At this point I'll pause and await Avel. My feeling is that we should give these guys a ride and try to find out more about the poison on the way, but I don't want to make that decision for both of us.

Avel said...

I concur. Let's give them a lift. Although you should look at the wound and ascertain they aren't faking it to get closer to us for an ambush.

Andrej said...

I'll be cautious, but were it an ambush I'm guessing it would have alreadt sprung.

"Topen, carry your friend forward so that I may see his wounds for myself."

Andrej, again, will warn any others away should they approach. He will make an examination of the wounds to ensure they are legitimate and to see if he can see any visible signs of poison.

Alexis said...

Topen seems quite willing to do as you say; he gets help from another of the dwarves, as yet unnamed. Draden is clearly in a great deal of pain.

I am uncertain what Andrej’s experience with poisons might be. It is evident, however, that there is something more than a wound affecting his leg. The flesh seems affected by a green and purplish coloring ... worse, in small patches, it appears as though there might be some sort of fuzzy growth.

The overall look is quite disturbing.

Andrej said...

Andrej's experience would be limited, but he's gathered the sort of obvious evidence he was looking for:

"Quickly, everyone get into the carriage! Emmanuel, drive like the devil himself is on our heels!"

Andrej will folow the dwarves into the carriage, hoping we all can fit and asking the much larger Avel to ride topside with Emmanuel and lend a hand there or direct the carriage as needed.

"Topen, how long has Draden been so inflicted? In what manner did it happen?"

Alexis said...

Topen will say that Draden was afflicted some twelve or fourteen hours ago. The small group were caving, and Draden was climbing up a rope and out of the cave when he slipped, fell, and tore his leg open on a rock. It was soon after, when Topen tried to cure him with the first level spell, that it became evident something else was up.

As Emmanuel strikes the horses and rushes off, Draden experienciences such pain that he screams.

Andrej said...

Does his pain subside once we are going? If so, let us proceed with speed and make Draden as comfortable as possible. Andrej will keep a close eye on Draden's wound, looking for any obvious signs of ti worsening.

Alexis said...

The pain does not subside ... but Draden passes out from it.

As you near Nuremberg - which is six or seven hours away - there are signs that the leg is worsening.

The first speaker will introduce himself as Warth, and the other two, as yet unintroduced dwarves, are Tandar and Edod. Warth will ask who you are, and if you are residents of Nuremberg.

Andrej said...

"We are most recently of Dachau and on our way north and beyond Nuremburg on business. I am Brother Andrej. My companion, the tall, strong lad, is Avel. Our capable servant Emmanuel drives the carriage."

Avel said...

Avel will nod at the mention of his name.

"Andrej, is there anything we can do to comfort him? If there is nothing we can do soon, we may have to take off the leg."

Andrej said...

"Unconcsious is as comfortable as he can get until Nuremberg, I'm afraid. As for the leg, I would not trust myself with such a task."

Alexis said...

(OOC: in this century, that would likely kill him)

Warth will answer Andrej, "It is well that you keep your business to yourself, sir; that is wise in this world. I must say for ourselves, but for this tragedy that has struck Draden, we have had a stroke of great luck."

Andrej said...

"A stroke of great luck you say? That is good, and it would gladden me to hear of your fortunes should you be willing to tell. Our own fortune has been less than great these past few days. Perhaps aiding you will turn our luck around, then."

Avel said...

"Hopefully your luck is as happy to spread itself as plague is. We'll certainly be glad to have some."

Alexis said...

"If Draden will be well, that would suit me. But if he lasts until Nuremberg, we can pay his way to health at any rate...even if the leg would need restoration. With your aid, I think it likely that he will live."

"Aye," adds Edod. "If he had not been so stupid -"

Tandar: "You mean clumsy."

Edod: "It's the same thing. I was saying we'd have been walking to Nuremberg - so this has its fair side."

"I would that Draden had not needed to suffer in exchange for a ride," says Warth.

"Has he not always complained that suffering was his lot?" asks Edod.

Alexis said...

"Perhaps we can give you some luck, friend Avel," says Warth.

"What service can we provide in exchange for your good deed?"

Avel said...

"Have you been to Dachau recently? We just left the city. It is much changed from our last visit. Do you know anything that could have caused that? I did not think the minor banditry in the area warranted turning the city into a fortress."

Alexis said...

"We have never been to Dachau. We herald from the forests of Thuringia, near and about Nordhausen."

Andrej said...

Andrej is finsihed conversing with the dwarves and ready to skip to Nuremberg unless something further should arise on the way.

He'll continue to keep a watch on Draden, out of senses of both compassion and self preservation... I don't know what's really going on with him and certainly don't want to be surprised with ill effects.

We were headed to Nuremberg either way, so I don't see the need to extract something from these dwarves unless you've got somehtign in mind, Avel. That's not very enterprising of me, I know, but I suppose this is why I'd make a terrible coachman. ;)

Alexis said...

For Andrej's benefit, then, the dwarves are pleasant, good company, fairly disarming in their humour and still anxious to learn if there's any favor they can provide in return for the passage to Nuremberg.

Beyond that answer, and for people to remember there are fees to pay along the way (as outlined previously), I am happy to move on to Nuremberg or even past it. I would want to know if the party intends to enter the city, or merely bypass it on their way north.

Andrej said...

I count 6 sp total for each person in tolls, assuming the grey line about Nuremburg indicates it as a free city (I have the tolls and the map, misplaced my notes). I'll pay for Emmanuel, the dwarves and Avel are on their own.

My thoughts are we drop the dwarves off at the gate and bid them farewell and best wishes. We'll then be taking the road to Bamburg with the goal of heading west to Schweinfurt, then north to Erfurt (or is it Gotha that lies on the road? the two names are close). From whichever of those is correct, we'd be then be heading north to Norhausen, but that's getting ahead of things.

As for today, we'll stop and set up camp at the normal time for ending our daily travels. I'll deduct the food.

Andrej said...

1 lb. each or 2 lbs. each for food today? Riding the carriage is not exaclty rest, but it's not exaclty work either.

Alexis said...

When you add in the extra work of hitching and unhitching the horses, brushing them down and so on, it works out to a full day.

Hold on for determining your exact route after Nuremberg. By Monday I should have some new information for you.

Been a busy day today. But at least we got some movement in this week. It will take me time to grow the momentum once again.

Andrej said...

I patiently await the forthcoming goodness.

OOC:

So that you both may better understand how I play things in the short term, from Andrej's standpoint the concern right now is getting to Hornung's estate enough ahead of him so that things can be put into proper order as necessary. Andrej is certain that his friend Delfig has marched into his doom, though that truth is still unbeknownst to him, and he now wants to put this region and his most recent experience here as far behind him as possible. The successful completion of Hornung's task, far to the north, is his central concern.

Therefore seemingly interesting side jaunts that may pique my interest will probably not dissuade my character, who will also avoid stopping in towns and potentially becoming distracted from the current course.

Also there's the matter of the trapped souls he's carrying. He's hoping to ask for Hornung's counsel, a powerful ally he feels he can confide in, to help tie up that loose end.

Avel said...

The dwarves are, casually speaking, 'big boys'. They can handle their problem now that they are here. You are right, we need to get the to estate as soon as possible. Besides, we're known associates of Delfig. Whatever was looking for him may come looking for us.

Sorry I'm not posting as often, everyone. I have acquired a summer day job that keeps me outside from 8 o'clock on. I get intermittent access to my computer, but most of my posting will come in the evening on the majority of weekdays.

Alexis said...

I will not stand in anyone's way. We may assume freely that you leave the dwarves off after a friendly ride; they tell you that they intend to return to Nordhausen, and should there ever be a service they can do for you, a message should be left with Warth's cousin Frith - who operates a bawdy house, the Rednight House, on Lange Strasse.

Alexis said...

In the meanwhile, if you will have a look at the map on the main blog, and the additional information it may provide for your route, we can move on perhaps a little faster. I am duty bound to go on rolling dice to determine if encounters with others occur, but I will consider your desires and perhaps keep their descriptions to a minimum.

While it may not be obvious, the more 'civilized' your route, the less likely you will encounter a serious obstacle on your course.

Andrej said...

Alexis, I was scarcely online yesterday... US holiday. I'll catch up and make a post this AM, once settled.

Avel, I've tried not to get too far ahead without you when posting and will continue to do so, but if it's OK with you I'll go ahead and plan the route and keep us moving along.

Avel said...

I don't want to cause the game to drag. Post away and keep the game moving. I'll be chiming in as often as I can.

I don't have anything to post/say at the moment. I want to continue on the road and get to our destination as soon as we can.

Alexis said...

Then I await a route.

Andrej said...

We shall take the road west to Wurzburg and there see about river-travel to Frankfurt. From Frankfurt, north to Cassel.

Sorry for the delay

Alexis said...

I'll begin a new post. May take me some time, but it should be up within a couple of hours.

Alexis said...

I will need to ascertain, however, whether or not you will be willing the pay the 5 g.p. cost that the wagon will require to take the barge from Wurzburg to Frankfurt. It would be 12 s.p. for each member of the party.

Andrej said...

Yes. Avel and I can split it, or I'll pay it myself. Take your time, I'm fully loaded today.

Avel said...

I'll cover the group. That would be 5 gp and 36 sp in tolls, correct?

(the blog has been 'eating' my posts recently. I make a post, and it seems to disappear without letting me know.)

Alexis said...

Not to worry; we know you're out there.

By the way, I like the recent pic, Avel.