Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Road North of Ingolstadt

Thursday, June 12, 1650

There being little reason to describe again the landscape, I will say simply that Avel and Andrej have reached again the place where the overgrown road connects with the main road from Ingolstadt, via carriage.  It is getting later in the afternoon.

From where they are, it is possible to see Delfig, half a mile in the distance, making his way up the hill away to the left (heading north).

42 comments:

Andrej said...

Led us drive quickly to catch up with him.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

If I hear the sounds of the carriage behind me, I will make my way quicker to the top of the hill and make my way down towards the guards.

Andrej said...

(OOC: If I could I'd throw a hold person on you!)

Avel said...

I will do my best to overtake Delfig with the team.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Glad you can't, that would be the end of our little companionship... :-/ )

Alexis said...

It would be pretty nigh impossible for Delfig to outrun the carriage. He should remember that its at least another three quarters of a mile from the top of the hill to the guards - and as it happens, it is several hundred more yards to the top of the hill.

You may take it for granted that the others have caught up to Delfig, just afore the top of the hill.

(As such, there will have to be a conversation. Emmanuel will leap off the carriage, as soon as it has drawn abreast).

Andrej said...

"Delfig! Ho! Let us discuss this together. If you still wish to turn yourself in, we shall support you."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I am finished with discussion. I will not run anymore. May God bless you."

I will continue to walk up the hill.

Avel said...

"Andrej, I don't think we can change his mind."

Alexis said...

Emmanuel will say, “Master! Do not let your conscience falsely lead you to this conclusion. You have said that you regret having given your blood to these creatures, who then took this blood and raised hell upon the town of Dachau. I and everyone who was there knows now that Herr Hornung put down the hell they raised, but what of the creatures? Were they found and brought low? I have heard no one say they have, not you Master nor any other soul. When we were in Dachau, I saw only evil in every place we went … except for Herr Hornung’s garden. This evil has clearly held the town, and will seek to go on holding it - and it has reason to destroy any witness to this evil. And now you, Master, go to throw yourself into their clutches! Do not do this Master! Do you not see that God has forgiven you? He has provided us with providence, providence in returning Frau Serafina into the arms of her love, providence in giving us the means to leave this woeful country, providence in finding us another road than this one that leads to your arrest. God has given us providence in means, and has used us to save the lives to two who this day would surely be dead. Can you not see the providence in all these things?”

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - that's a pretty damn good speech. As fate would have it, my boss is sitting on my head and I cannot think well enough to formulate a good response. Tomorrow morning, please?)

Avel said...

(ooc - and Avel is struck dumb by Emmanuel's eloquence!)

Alexis said...

Forgive me, there was something I meant to say this morning, but was overlooked.

Andrej,

When you tried to lay to rest the two bodies earlier, you found something spiritually wrong. The act of burial is yet a magical one ... and you normally can feel a physical response to the magic, as though the soul were finding its way and you detect that - but while you did receive this laying to rest the other two bodies of the guards (presuming you did, with Emmanuel's help), where it came to Brenden and Robur, there was no sense of this at all. As though there were no entities in their bodies to so protect through clerical burial.

Obviously, any burial would have been very shallow, given how little time you allowed Emmanuel to finish the job.

Andrej said...

OOC: Here I probably wasn't clear enough and this might result from me not quite understanidng the mechanics of the burial ceremony... my intent was to perform the burial ceremony without the actual burial. Now that I say it that way, it sounds less logical, but hear me out. I wanted to do what needed doing to see the souls on their way and protect the bodies/ souls from rising... but to bring the bodies in the carriage back to Ingolstadt. Based on that, and since Delfig won't be back on until tomorrow, what would have then happened back at the house?)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I look in no small amazement at Emmanuel and tears come to my eyes. I give Emmanuel a bear hug.

"You should consider yourself more aware and learned among men, Emmanuel. I would give quite a bit to hear often from such heartfelt sayings. Jan's wisdom has found root in your soul.

I cannot speak of the things that you have seen or felt, but I will tell you that my conscience lays heavy on me, as does the thought of constantly running. Emmanuel, I have ran from my responsibilities all my life. My father laid a path before me, an honorable path and I spurned him and my family. I have wasted much of my life in search of song and adulation. What has it gotten me?

No, I think the past few months, God has been showing me the error of my ways. It was my sin of pride that caused many good people of Dachau to die. It was pride that caused your good friar Jan to die at the hands of that foul woman - pride that I marched into the town as heroes, while he died an ignoble death. It is pride that I'm somehow special so that God would forgive me of such terrible things.

I see why you would say there is providence but I also see always the danger of thinking that such providence speaks of forgiveness. I have the stain of many on my hands Emmanuel. If God wishes me to die at the hands of Evil, he could make it no clearer than he has now. That road you speak of... we went down it and all we found was death! Death to innocents. No, that is just as much a sign of God as well.. that not facing what is to be will only prolong and lead to more death and destruction!"

Andrej said...

"Delfig, don't act a fool! You call Emmanuel's words wisdom but ignore them still. You speak of scorning prideful thoughts but I see that your guilt has become a sort of twisted pride. This pride is turning you away from the necessary and rightful tasks at hand and into the arms of folly! The burghers of Dachau wil not grant you slavation, man, that is God's alone to give. Use your head, man, before they strike it from your shoulders! Dachau has become a twisted place. Either we avoid it or endeavor to right it... we must not submit to it."

Alexis said...

Emmanuel's answer to this rebuff will be to stand back, make now sound, but only stare.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Andrej, the details are essentially the same. If the bodies are in the wagon, then it will still be evident as a cleric that there is no 'feedback' from the bodies of Robur and Brenden to suggest there is any kind of soul that can be 'laid to rest')

Andrej said...

(OOC: Understood, Alexis. Thanks.)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I nod sadly at Andrej.

"So you speak as plainly as your large friend there. I am a fool. So be it. I will not debate my fate or pride with someone so angry and anxious to pass judgements on others. May God bless you."

I'll turn and start to head over the hill.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Now, this is going to seem like convenience, but I had this planned two days ago)

Presuming no one intends to physically restrain Delfig, he mounts the top of the ridge. From there, as before, he can see the junction of the Nuremberg/Regensburg roads ...

There's no one there.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"..."

(I'm going to go lie down now. Look at the nice pretty clouds passing over head. :whistles:)

Andrej said...

Andrej, defeated quietly to Delfig's back: "And may he also bless you. Come Avel and Emmanuel, we have not persuaded our friend and must now trust in God. Let us see these men to Ingolstadt and decide our course from there."

Alexis said...

Emmanuel does not move.

"Father, must you also be a fool? Forgive me, but I cannot go with you. I will not fail to be hung in Dachau so that I may be hung in Ingolstadt."

Andrej said...

(somber and unsure) "Yes, Emmanuel. I have considered this also. I was loathe to leave these bodies behind yet take the bottle and could not leave the bottle knowing mens' souls were inside. Do we then leave them along the side of the road? We cannot bring them with us. I know not what to do and was hoping for Delfig's say in it. The world is mad, I see, when we petty few tread willngly into destruction for naught while the wicked sleep the sleep of angels."

Alexis said...

Emmanuel answers, "Is it not said Father that a man's life, if you save it, belongs to you? Let us bury these dead and make our way."

Andrej said...

(OOC: Thanks for the bat upside the head, Alexis.)

"So it is, Emmanuel. You keep the bottle safe for us, yes? Avel, let us turn about and leave these men at the house, then, and be off."

We shall return to the house for two purposes. To bury the dead and to replace our roan with the remaining live horse, rmoving one of the ways by which our party could be identified. From there I recommend we continue striking west, off of the main road. Before we go, one last try...

"Delfig! We turn back down the road to the house and then beyond to the west. Come with us, please."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - how far of a walk back to Dachau? I would like to know before I answer Andrej... I may need more food to carry with me for the walk back.)

Avel said...

"Delfig, please, listen to Andrej. I'm sorry about what I said, I didn't mean to accuse you. I know what it's like to be on the run, I simply wanted to make sure you kept safe. Don't let the Devil's whispers trick you. Running back is just another way of running away. Nothing will be solved by your capture by whatever rules Dachau!"

(while we bury the bodies)

"Andrej, are we going to tell anyone about this? The bodies and the attacks. We can't lie about it if questioned, but it will look very bad for us if we do not volunteer this information."

(can I read, Alexis? I'd like to take a look at all the books when a chance is had)

Andrej said...

Delfig: I beleive it to be about 80 miles or so if Alexis's hexes are 40 miles (and I beleive they are). Three days? I'll give you 15 lbs. of food to be sure, which is good for 5 days. I think this is a huge mistake.

Andrej said...

Avel: "Not volunteering information and lying are not exactly the same, Avel. Given what has happened in Dachau and those events since, we should consider this land a hostile one and act accordingly."

(OOC: Good thought on the books. Andrej can't read, so wouldn't be able to find out what was in them if he wanted. I thought about nidging you or Delfig toward them once we had gotten past this, but I'm gald you grabbed on to it)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I’m sorry if it felt like a bat, Andrej. Emmanuel, when he was introduced a year ago, had a tongue then; while played as a servant, I reserve the right to give him a consciousness)

Delfig,

You are 41 miles from Dachau.

Avel,

If I have not at any time indicated that you can read, you may take it that you cannot. I am not certain about Delfig, and Andrej has said he cannot. Emmanuel cannot read for certain.

Andrej,

Hexes are 20 miles in diameter.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Don't be sorry. Sometimes a bat is what it takes. It wasn't inappropriate. Here an observer might argue that... but screw an observer. This campaign and your main blog have given me lots to think about and many new perspectives... maybe the most valuable has been the simplest... just the chance to be in the player's shoes for a change.)

Unless Avel protests Andrej will direct Emmanuel and the carriage back to the house after providing Delfig some food and a last chance to rejoin us. There we'll stop for a quick burial of the bodies, then be off down that road and hopefully another road and not a dead end beyond it.

Given your above direction, I'm not sure whether Avel can read or not, so if not let's just hang on to the books for now.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll take enough food for a 3 day's journey from Andrej and again, wish them all well.

I'll begin my walk back.

Alexis said...

May I be clearly certain at this point that the party is breaking into two parts: Delfig going south to Dachau, and Avel, Andrej and Emmanuel returning to Robur's house?

It is the impression I've gotten, I only want to hear a clear "yes" or "no."

Andrej said...

Yes.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Yes. (I hope you're not pissed that we're going to increase your workload.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: If you don't mind that it might increase your 'waitload')

Well, given that Avel might change his mind (I don't think he will), and that Emmanuel will definitely not be going with Delfig, I will continue with two posts. I will designate Delfig's track 'Dolphin,' while Andrej and Avel will continue as Antelope.

Here are the rules. Information that becomes available to players through what is going on in one thread shall not be visibly incorporated into another thread. In other words, Delfig's character cannot know what is happening to Andrej and Avel, and vice versa. I'm sure that the player's know this, but the temptation will be to make use of additional information. As I write this post, threads Dolphin and Antelope are already fifteen miles apart ... so going back from here is already too late. The only specific question left to resolve is where Avel might choose to be.

It is reasonable that Delfig might be able to find the others at Hornung's gatehouse, but it gets more complicated if for whatever reason Group Antelope or Group Dolphin end up not being where they were expected to be at the moment of this split. Obviously, the character's can't know that - so getting on the 'trail' of the other is going to be some interesting role play, if it comes to that.

I could solve some of this problem by making both threads 'private', but I don't want to stop strangers from reading the campaign and taking things from it.

Is there anything not clear in the above?

Andrej said...

Chrystal. Best of luck, Delfig.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(It never occurred to me that I would know what Andrej or Avel are doing. I'm on my own and that's how it would be going down in my head. But thank you for making that clear.

And good luck to you guys as well.)

Avel said...

(I will be going with Andrej.)

Avel said...

(I will have a short 'dead' time today between 10:15 and 12:30 during which I won't be able to post)