Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Noon, North of Ingolstadt

Thursday, June 12, 1650

Making your way along the road to Nuremburg, about three hours north of Ingolstadt a group of four men, in the livery of soldiers of Upper Bavaria, mounted, appear behind you upon the road.  They are thundering their way along, moving very quickly.  Naturally there is some concern ... which passes quickly when the four men, without so much as a glance, ride around the carriage on both the left and the right and continue down the road.  The party sees them climb a slope to the top, and then drop down and out of sight.

Some sense of relief comes over the party, but at this time I find that I must stop and gather reactions.

82 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Aside from the groin tightening and slow breathing to not react hastily, I'll casually ride on until the men are out of sight. Then I'll look behind to see if there are any following troops. If there are not, I'll call up to my companions "Perhaps we should take a break?"

Alexis said...

There are no soldiers following behind.

Andrej said...

I would assume that Delifg is in the carriage and two of myself, Avel and Emmauel driving/ riding topside.

"I think we should maintain our current pace and direction for the time being. If there's an opportunity to turn off the main road, perhaps west toward Eichstatt or Wurttemberg, we should consider taking it."

Alexis said...

Do you continue on, then?

Andrej said...

That is my desire. Delfig? Avel?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'd like to suggest that as we hit rises and tops of hills, we look for roadblocks. We might also want to plan for tollgates.

Perhaps I should shave...

Andrej said...

Good thought. My hope is to turn off the main road before encountering any... but of course turning off the main road won't tolls. In fact, it appears we'd be crossing more borders and thus encountering more. If we're questioned at any stop, what should we say?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - funny question, but is there the concept of "papers" or can I get away with just cutting my hair, shaving and calling myself Herr Josef Mueller from Munich?)

Avel said...

I say we just continue on as if we are totally innocent of any wrongdoing. Ignorance can act as a great shield.

Andrej said...

I'm not sure how good a shiled ignornace wll be, but in truth we have done no wrong... or rather, we're truly ignorant... we don't really know what these guards might want. I'm ready to proceed, keeping an eye out for roads off of the main one.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Let's wait for answer from Alexis.)

So neither of you think I should change my appearance?

Andrej said...

I'm torn, Delfig. On the one hand, it might be wise to do our best to avoid any entanglements until we know what's up. On the other hand, if we get caught in a lie things could go worse for us. Also there's that whole "Thou shalt not bare false witness" thing Andrej is trying to skirt cautiously around.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Well, I give your advice a lot of weight... if you have an opinion, let me know, otherwise I will attempt to disguise myself.

Andrej said...

I guess there's no harm if you decided to do a little bit of a makeover. :)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

...

I don't have a shaving kit.

I have an eating knife. I'll sharpen that as much as I can and ask Avel to help cut my hair shorter and then I'll shave as best I can.

(This is going to look so obvious. *sigh*)

Alexis said...

I can't give any definite advice. At the moment, I can't describe if there are any other roads to travel, since the party has only, so far, been steadily nearing the top of the rise which the soldiers rode behind.

I can suggest that 'justice' and 'innocence' are tremendously fluid concepts in the 17th century ... none of the documents one might quote regarding personal rights have been penned yet, except for nobility.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I suggest we stop and look over the rise carefully so that we can possibly see if there's any trouble on the other side. If there are trees or tall grasses, let's use those as cover.

Andrej said...

Concur. In fact, why don't we stop the carriage and I'll jog forward and peek over the rise.

Alexis said...

Being the sort of stickler for exactness in directions to the DM, I'd like to state that at this moment, the carriage is still moving steadily up the rise. I have not been told, specifically, that the party is doing otherwise.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

OK.

We've stopped the carriage. Stop. All stopped. We'll wait. Quietly.

Then Andrej and/or Avel will get out and do recon.

Then I'll get out and do my makeover.

Then we'll decide what to do based on what A and/or A see. And we can also have lunch.

If things are copasetic, we'll get back on the carriage.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

If the horses don't like being on the hill, then we'll turn the carriage around, go back the way we came before we got to the rise... then we'll do the above.

Andrej said...

The horses spent a good deal of time in the mountains... this hill shouldn't bother them. Once stopped, Andrej will move ahead to check... carefully.

Alexis said...

The horses are fine. A retcon of the top of the hill reveals nothing except the quite shallow valley beyond, about three quarters of a mile in width; the road is empty, except for two laborers carrying bags of what is probably seed, giving this time of the year. There is, naturally, a hill just like this across the valley, and the road goes over that, too.

(OOC: I do appreciate that I am garnering a reputation that any detail I add has the effect of causing the party to chase its tail for most of a day. It is very gratifying)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Ha! We're going to drive you crazy when we pause. on. each. hill. to see what's on the other side. *g* )

OK guys, let's go on after we're done w/lunch and my makeover and see what we can see further on.

Andrej said...

Agreed. We'll be stopping before each rise as described above so Andrej can perform recon. Also, keeping our eyes peeled for roads branching off the main road.

(OOC: Of course those soldiers could be on about any business (and likely are) and of course your very mention of them has us skittering around like mice.)

Alexis said...

Before you reach the next rise, and before you must reconnoitre it as you say, you pass a dirt road, with a slight rut in it, leading towards the west. Gravel has been thrown in the tracks, suggesting it is not an ordinary cart-road ... but it has not been trampled heavily, nor excessively tailored, as you might expect a road to a manor would be.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(*chuckle*)

Keep your eyes on the road, Andrej.

(Of course, this will be where we get ambushed, because we expect that this is another red herring, and it won't be, or we're just stuck in that loop of knowing/not knowing - so let's just keep on being cautious...)

Andrej said...

Andrej indicates to whomever of Avel or Emmanuel are driving that he wishes to stop for a short rest where the side road meets our own. Andrej hops to the ground and moves back toward the passneger area of carriage, but speaks loud enough so that all three companions may hear.

"I know you would counsel us to stay on the road, Delfig, but striking west could take us further from unwanted scrutiny. We could still find a way to Luneburg. In truth, we could be set upon with violence whatever road we take. We cannot predict what hidden enemies are about... but we can try to avoid whatever enemies we already know to be about."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I would rather stick to the main roads. At least we'll know what we face. This is just a road. We know nothing about it. We could spend all day on it and end up nowhere. If you want to take side roads, we should find people familiar with the area and ask.

Andrej said...

"You make a point, but I feel exposed on this road. I mislike all of this soldiery about. But it is indeed your head most at stake here, so I will defer to your judgement."

Andrej will walk up the hill for recon, with his staff/ walking stick out to assist with the climb. The carriage should stay put.

Alexis said...

The next rise is almost half a mile away - assuming Andrej wants to walk that entire distance, and be certain of seeing the road beyond, it will be forty minutes before he returns to the carriage.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Then we'll continue on past the road towards the rise and have Andrej take the stroll. Rinse, repeat.

Andrej said...

Concur.

Alexis said...

To get to the point, Andrej will climb the rise - again, it is another valley, somewhat wider and more cultivated than the last. He does not have a glass, but he can see three quarters of a mile off where the road north to Nuremberg meets a similar sized road from the east (presumably, Regensburg). There are a number of people milled together where the fork is, and three wagons are stopped in the middle of the road. Andrej might give ten or fifteen minutes to watch them, and does not see the wagons move; people move about them, but it is impossible at this distance to see what is happening without a telescope.

James C. said...

Can Andrej tell if any of these people milling about wear the livery of Upper Bavaria?

Alexis said...

Too far away.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Sorry about the blogger id)

Andrej will return to his fellows and report the above.

"I like this even less, friends. Perhaps it is nothing, but I fear otherwise. I say again we go west."

Avel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avel said...

(the internet has been eating my posts all day. This is very frustrating.)

"Again, Andrej, paranoia will take us only so far. We need to act like nothing is wrong. Delfig, I won't cut your hair. If we look like we are hiding, we can not claim ignorance if we are caught. You changing your appearance will only contribute towards you looking guilty.

I can go on ahead, either on foot or mounted. Being young and foolish acts as a wonderful excuse for stupid questions."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Let's wait and see what happens. give it till late afternoon.

Andrej said...

"Caution is often taken for paranoia until the boom falls, Avel. What say you Delfig, if the lad goes for a look? I don't like it... but I like sitting here and waiting even less."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

*laugh* Typical. All 3 of us have different ideas. (Our DM is a Sadist. *chuckle*)

At this point, I'd almost just say let's go forward or stay. The half measures I don't like. I'd rather stay for awhile. But I'd rather not split up.

So... stay or go. I choose stay.

Andrej said...

At least you're consistently in favor of your own ideas. Me too. :)

Stay or go... I choose go. Back. West.

Avel, if you subscribe to the more simplified "stay or go", what say you?

Avel said...

I say stay. I don't want to have to backtrack. My ass hurts from that damn bench already.

Andrej said...

"Then we stay. Avel, if you still want to stretch your legs you could maybe walk to the top of the rise and see the road jam for yourself... but stay within our sight, lad." Andrej will pray and rest.

Alexis said...

(Ha ha ha ha ha ... And more evil laughter)

Avel said...

"I will do so. I'll see you all in a bit."

Avel is going to leave his shield and his most threatening weapons behind, bringing only his mace thrust through his belt. He'll walk towards the jam to see if he can see what's going on, but remembers to remain in sight of our group.

Alexis said...

(OOC: HOORAY! I can post)

Avel,

You will get about a quarter mile down the road, within plain sight of the people at the crossroads, when it becomes without question clear that the crossroads described above is being policed by guardsmen. The three wagons Andrej described are not there, but a cart with two oxen, coming from the east, has been stopped.

It is up to you if you want to turn around and go back, but htis might be noticed.

Avel said...

I'll continue to walk forward until the guards stop me. The goal will to be to get past them, get beyond their sight, then circle back around to Andrej and Delfig.

Andrej said...

Did I mention that Andrej is praying? :)

Alexis said...

The first guard will call out towards you as approach; "You, sir - come here and stand fast."

Avel said...

I will walk up to where he asks me to stop and wait for further instructions.

Alexis said...

He will ask what is Avel's business, and how far does he wish to travel. He will ask if Avel has seen a bard upon the road, of such and such a height (Delfig's height), with eyes the color of Delfig's eyes, and carrying a lute. He is known to be in a carriage, and travelling with three other man, a priest, a teamster and a servant. One of the horses drawing the carriage is a roan. Has Avel seen them?

Alexis said...

I should probably add; Avel sees no horses, nor do any of these guards wear the livery of the four horsemen who thundered by the carriage hours ago.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: ... <-- that's all I'm going to say.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: particularly since Delfig can't hear the guard from the other side of the rise - hah hah)

Avel said...

(I think we may be six different kinds of fucked)

Just to check - are these men wearing livery of any kind?

"I am intending to travel to Calenburg, in the employ of Sir Hornrung.

Is this man you're asking about a criminal?"

Andrej said...

...

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: @Andrej - See!? That's what I'm talking about. ... )

Alexis said...

Yes, they are wearing livery which describes them as being from the town of Dachau (as opposed to the larger Palatinate of Upper Bavaria).

The guard will mention that Avel has a long way to walk, and that he seems to have little protection against the weather, and that he carries little to eat.

"He is sought in order to speak with the Rathaus in Dachau," answers the guard. "I do not know the reason for."

Andrej said...

(OOC: Hey, I'm the guy that wanted to get off the main road. We could be halfway to Eichstatt by now)

Finished praying

"Delfig... do you see Avel? I told the big lug not to get beyond our sight... he didn't walk toward the wagons, did he?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I am sitting here by the wagon, my friend. The sunlight must be hard on your eyes. I haven't heard him come back, no. We'll have to wait longer. Perhaps we should bring the horses and wagon back a ways."

Andrej said...

"Hmm. Emanuel, take Delfig and drive the carriage back to the road leading that way (points west) please. Get it and yourselves out of sight from the mainroad, however far down the path you need to take it. Avel and I will meet you there. I like this not."

Andrej shoulders his pack and belongings, tucks his crucifix away and walks cautiously to the top of the rise. He'll carefully peer over the edge to see what is going on, trying to remian hidden from the view of those on the other side.

Alexis said...

Well, Andrej is three quarters of a mile away, so he is a dot on the horizon and not likely to be noticed; certainly would be thought of as a local, if not moving from his place.

It is difficult to make out Avel; he is also a very tiny figure, and is mixed in with the guards.

If Delfig will given his agreement, Emmanuel will head the wagon back towards the west road (there is no sign on that road, indicating it goes to Eichstatt ... that is just Andrej's imagination)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I agree.

Andrej said...

Fair enough. Andrej will wait for now, keeping an eye on Avel below.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I am waiting for Avel's response)

Avel said...

I'm going to do my best to act like A) a stupid kid and B) a stupid bumpkin kid. Time to turn on the bullshit spigot.

"Wait, sir, how far is Calenburg? My brother said it would only be 3 days walk, with plenty of towns along the road.

No, wait... Argh, I feel like an idiot! He's always doing this to me! Dammit!" I'll pull my hair, stomp around, and generally make a scene for a moment. "I'll throw him in the pond! That rogue! That rat bastard! I'll thrash him so hard Christ himself will wince! "

I'll make a big show of getting a hold on myself.

"I'm sorry gentlemen. Your question. Yes, I did see a man matching your description. He passed me earlier this morning. I didn't see any carriage or companions, but he did have a lute and he was riding a roan horse. He asked me about my destination too, and I guess this explains his smirk when I told him.

Damn. Damn damn damn! I'll have wasted a whole day! Damn!"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - yea, he's one of us now. B/s and all. Well done, Avel! We'll see if this works. LOL)

Avel said...

(Hoping against hope. Maybe Delfig can extend acting lessons to the rest of us for occasions such as this!)

Alexis said...

It is generally considered a wise thing to simply let crazy people continue on their way ... since Avel is not the one they're looking for, they don't believe he's seen anyone, and now they're convinced he doesn't remotely actually know Hornung, they just think he's a Dachau resident wandering the countryside. One of them will say, "You should get back on home, then."

But another will say, "That mace in your belt. You better just give that to us. It's probably best that you don't use that thing on someone."

Avel said...

"Oh. Well, okay. If you say so."

I will hand the mace over to him, turn around, and walk back over the rise.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Wow. Maces are expensive)

Okay, if the party is happy with this so far, Avel returns to the carriage unhindered, and you can strike out on the west road.

Nyet?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: o.O <-- bug eyes)

I sigh.

"We cannot hope to keep hiding and running. If it is God's will that I face my destiny, then I must face my destiny. I suggest that I give myself up."

Andrej said...

"Don't be so quick to see God's hand at the backs of your pursuers, Delfig. Perhaps it was God's hand, and Avel's mace, that have turned them away. You should not so easily give yourself up when you have no idea what is intended by those who seek you. Powerful men ar eoften not just ones. If you wish to find out, we should return to Dachau discreetly and make inquiry while you remain hidden. Otherwise, I say we push on."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"From what Avel has described, they know of all of us. You are also now part of this, and if we continue on and this is a deadly matter, you might be guilty by association. Are you willing to risk that, both of you?"

Andrej said...

"That risk seems to have been taken already. We are your associates. It strikes me as an even greater risk to turn ourselves without knowing what and whose "justice" we face, though."

Pacing... showing an edge of anger...

"I trust not these war-mongers building walls in Dachau. Did you remember how the guards watched us? Do you have to wonder long why Hornung himself is leaving? Why all this effort to find us? To make for us a banquet and provide us keys to the treasury!?!?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I can't always outrun what I have done. Many lives were lost. I am more worried for you two than I am for myself. But if you are accepting the risk, then lets be on our way and see what happens."

Andrej said...

"I say we turn west, wherever that road may take us. I do not wish to fight the guards at the fork and I have no intention of returning quietly to Dachau. Avel?"

Avel said...

(OOC- I know! But I had to keep up the idiot bumpkin act. That, and I wasn't sure I could take 4 guys on my lonesome.)

"I see no way to continue this way. Andrej, lead on. I also see no reason, Delfig, to reveal you or turn you it. Whatever these things were that took your blood may have some kind of influence that allows them to command guards to look for you. I say we make our way for our original destination, then seek out Hornrung for advice."

Alexis said...

The next post I will put up on the weekend.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(An interesting lesson in slowing the party down. LOL! It worked. Have a great weekend!)