Monday, April 26, 2010

Dachau's Rathaus

Friday, June 13, 1650

Whether Delfig intends to turn himself in upon arriving in Ingolstadt, or to wait until he reaches Dachau, the result is the same.  He will find himself standing between four guards at Dachau's North Gate.  Here he will learn that earlier the day before, another bard was found travelling north from Ingolstadt, who was brought to Dachau only three hours ago.  Upon determining definitely that this other bard was not Delfig, the bard was let go - but this is the reason why the guards who were at the Regensburg-Nuremburg crossroads suddenly disappeared.

Delfig will be brought to the Rathaus, and there he will be watched most closely, as he waits.  He is informed that the burghermeister - The Patrician Eduard Johannsen, he that was recently elected - wishes to speak with Delfig, most earnestly.  That there has been, as far as the guard knows, no crime committed ... but then, it is possible that the burghermeister could yet bring a charge - that would be within the meister's rights.

It is in the foyer of the Rathaus, in seeing a rather intricate representation of the yearly calendar, that Delfig realizes it is Friday 13th.

49 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Would it have been possible to send a message to Hornung as to my impending arrival/detention? (I had this all figured out, I would have hired 3 people going into Dachau, given them a note each and some coin to ensure delivery to let Hornung know what is going on. May we have that done?)

Alexis said...

Yes, it would have been quite easy for you to send a message to Hornung; I will take that you've sent three messengers. Can you let me know precisely how much coin (a messenger from Ingolstadt, where you would have to send it, would cost a minimum of a silver piece) ... and can you give an outline of the message?

It would have been better if I had known about the message, but I was rushing things - all I ask is that the message does not mention the mayor or his name, but you are free to mention the Rathaus, since that was on the wanted poster.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

That's fair and thank you. I hadn't realized we'd be at the gate already, which is why I hadn't mentioned it. :)

I will have sent 3 copyies of the same message, with 5 silver per messenger to guarantee delivery.

---
Herr Hornung,

Good day from Delfig Kolhupfer. The Rathaus has issued warrants for my detention and it is my intent to deliver myself to them to see what it is they wish. As I am sending these from Ingolstadt, I assume the message will arrive to you just as I am arriving to Dachau.

I have sent this message with three different messengers to guarantee that it reaches you.

I beg your forgiveness, I do not wish to bring any trouble to you, but if I am accused of a crime, I may require an advocate on my behalf. If that comes to pass and you can recommend one, I would be grateful. If possible, I will send you further word when I am in Dachau.

Your obedient servant,
Delfig (signature affixed)

----

Alexis said...

Good enough. Are there any other actions you might have taken prior to finding yourself waiting for the burghermeister?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I can't think of any right now. Maybe praying a lot?

Alexis said...

Within minutes, Delfig is directed to stand, and to enter the Burghermeister’s office. Johannsen is a tall, thin man, with blonde hair that borders upon red; Delfig cannot recall ever having seen him before.

Only one guard remains in the room; he bolts the door closed behind Delfig, and stands in front of it.

Johannsen smiles, and speaks quite familiarily: “Ah, Delfig. You are like a bad coin. Twice I have allowed you to leave Dachau, twice have I spared your life … and only a few days ago I find you are back. And with the bride of my enemy, yet. What, oh what am I to do with you?”

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Twice, m'lord?"

(OOC - I only remember once that we had a run-in with the law - when what's his name threw the spell in the guild hall. *chuckle* In front of everyone.)

"I beg your pardon, but I do not understand. Herr Hornung is your enemy?"

Alexis said...

Johannsen will laugh.

"Do you not know me, Delfig?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Forgive me, m'lord, but I have never seen you before...."

I think my guts just froze.

"... unless..."

Alexis said...

Before your very eyes, the burghermeister Johannsen will transform into Josef the Cleric ... and then again, as Delfig finds himself unable to tear his eyes away, into a profoundly hideous creature. When it speaks again, it's voice will be very, very different.

"I cannot hold it against you, sir bard, as the plan has worked perfectly. Opening the gate weakened the paladin, ensuring that he would not remain in the election. The gate ended surely Martin Folkes' tenure, and all that it took was to be sure that Erich Kinski died in the chaos. My brother took care of him."

Delfig will look behind him, to see that there is a second doppleganger where the guard once was. This one says, "I did, and most happily."

The first goes on speaking: "This left me, Johannsen, the only viable candidate." He will laugh pleasantly. "Elected by the people of Dachau themselves, and placed into this marvelous position. Where Dachau will be transformed, and others like me will have a base of operations that will aid my kind for decades.

"But then we have you, Delfig - who won't simply go away. And since you are in the employ of that sickening Hornung, I should probably expect him to appear at any moment. That we shall have to plan for. For the moment, certainly, we will need to put you somewhere he won't find you."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Is there a window or some other opening, preferably behind the Johannsen-creature?)

Alexis said...

Not that isn't barred. You are more or less trapped. You have your weapons ... I meant to take them away from you, but apparently the guards outside forgot.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(So my idea to bull rush him out of the window is out.)

"May God send you back to Hell!" I curse him. I'll draw my sword on the Johannsen-creature.

Alexis said...

It will not move, not at once. "If you wish to live," it will say quickly, "You will not fight me."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"No. I'll not suffer your kind to just win so easily. If God wills that I must die today, so be it. It will be striving for your death!"

If it's not moving I'm going to move towards it but also shift so that the guard does not have a rear attack.

Alexis said...

Then the guard at the door will approach.

"Don't kill him," will say the Johannsen-thing. "We will have need for bard's blood in the future."

"Do not worry," says the brother.

Delfig will find Johannsen does not move. And the brother will not have any weapons ... except the claws on its hands.

Roll initiative. d6.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

d6 = 1

...

Alexis said...

The doppleganger can enlarge itself, to stand seven feet tall; it rolls a 4 for initiative.

And it rolls a 4 on a d20, missing Delfig.

"Brother!" calls out Johannsen.

"I know, I know," says the brother.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I'll still attack the Johannsen creature when it's my turn - do you want me to go ahead and roll for attack/damage?)

Alexis said...

Yes, sorry - roll a d20 for attack.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(No problem. I wasn't sure if you were going to have "brother" do something before I attacked.)

1d20=18

I'm not sure if 7' tall qualifies for Large - so I'll roll the d8 assuming not. If so, I'll roll my d12.

1d8=5

Alexis said...

You forget - I don't have a separate damage for large creatures. Old habits die hard. The sword always does d8.

That hurt severely, but it does not stun the doppleganger.

It attacks back, rolling a 14. This will hit AC 4; and this causes 6 damage (dopplegangers roll a d12 for damage).

"Now you've got him, brother!" shouts Johannsen.

As this will stun Delfig, the brother rolls again: a 4, again, missing.

Delfig's action.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Was at 13hp, now at 7hp.)

I'll attack again.

1d20 = 9 (not enough to hit even AC 9)

Alexis said...

d20 = 5.

Your turn.

Johannsen will move in a circle around the room, as though enjoying the sport.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll grit my teeth and grimly attack.

d20 = 16
d8 = 5

Alexis said...

That is enough to stun the brother. He falls back against the desk, somewhat hurt. Johannsen will say, "Perhaps I should have told the bard not to kill you, brother."

Delfig can roll again.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Crap, I thought I was attacking Johannsen! This time, I am actively attacking the Johannsen...)

d20 = 3

Alexis said...

Combat rules: you can't attack Johannsen. It is the burghermeister's office, so it is a room about twenty feet by fourteen; spacious. My rules follow that if you are in a combat with one party, you cannot break off that combat without missing a combat round. Basically, while the brother attacks you (and Johannsen looks on, shouting encouragment), Delfig must defend himself actively. He can't just select another target, as he isn't standing next to the other target.

Now, if you say that you are throwing something, you could do that towards Johannsen (this doesn't require that Delfig move, you see - he would block the attack, throw a dagger at the other party, then ready himself to block again.

Does this make sense?

At any case, the brother of Johannsen attacks: d20 = 6. (the dice like you)

Alexis said...

Delfig can attack.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Oh, OK, now I'm on the same page. Up above, when you said "the brother approaches" that meant he was engaging in melee. I misunderstood. No problem, I'll press the attack on the brother.)

d20 = 18 (whoowhoo!!)
d8 = 6

Alexis said...

Oh, that will definitely stun. The brother staggers back, quite hurt. He will shout, "Xjaaackt!"

And Delfig will find himself struck with a dagger, thrown by Johannsen - causing 4 damage. This will stun Delfig, also.

As the brother has dropped to three limbs on the floor, and Delfig is against the window bars, Johannsen will stride forward, within 5 feet of the bard.

"Have you changed your mind, poor fellow?" will ask the Johannsen-thing.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll spit in his face a bloody wad. "I will never be a willing pawn to your hellspawn again!"

If I'm able, I'll strike out.

Alexis said...

I will give you the initiative - since you want to fight much more avidly than Johannsen. Roll a d20 to attack.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

d20=9 again.

"I'd rather die than suffer the blood of innocents anymore. May God grant me the power to strike you down!"

Alexis said...

As the brother falls back, not resting, but readying himself for another chance at Delfig, the Johannsen-thing will roll a 14 on a d20 to hit. Again, striking AC 4. Delfig will feel himself struck by the claw of the beast, suffering 8 damage.

This does not kill Delfig, but it does reduce him to -6. He is thus at 60% of his stats (a 16 charisma would be reduced to 6.4, a 13 strength would be reduced to 5.2). I'm uncertain what Delfig's stats would be, but you can work them out.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(He is thus at 60% of his stats (a 16 charisma would be reduced to 6.4, a 13 strength would be reduced to 5.2))

I think that's 40%? I'm going with that assumption.

That would mean my strength is now at a 3.2 and my Int is at a 4. I can still think, but I'm assuming at this point I'm pretty much unable to do anything useful as I've fallen below the requirements for a bard.

What are my options in terms of what I can do? Am I unconcious?

Delfig has accepted death as his fate, and he does not want to be used as a blood vessel. He's very angry and will not surrender.

Alexis said...

My return comment got eaten.

Yes, you're right; that should be reduced by 60%.

To determine if Delfig is conscious, he must make a constitution check on his present stat. d20, roll equal or less than your Con.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

CHR: 16 (6.4)

d20 = 9

(I hope I bleed out.)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Wrong C/P - that should have been:
CON: 12 (4.8)

Still, at a 9, I cannot make the save.

Alexis said...

I didn't wound you with any hit, so you don't 'bleed out.'

You will be unconscious; your last memory is of both dopplegangers returning to their human form. And then the sound of Johannsen opening the door, and shouting for the guards outside to come and take you ...

Alexis said...

(OOC: Well? Curiousity satisfied?)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(A very entertaining turn of events and as soon as you said "Do you not know me..." I had a feeling these were those shapeshifters.

I'm very curious to see what happens next.)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(and the dagger doesn't count as a wound?)

Alexis said...

(handle hit you in the head)

A 'wound' is any single hit that causes 11 damage or more. For each wound suffered, you 'bleed' 1 point of damage per round until it is healed or three rounds are spent suppressing the wound. A dagger may draw blood, but unless it does the necessary damage, you don't hemorrahage additional hit points.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Man, I hate subdual. LOL)

I look forward to the next chapter. I think...

Alexis said...

I don't think you will.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(That's OK. I play the game to be played, no matter how it spins out. Either way, it'll be a good game.)

Alexis said...

I almost forgot. This will seem strange, since you lost, but you actually come out with 520 x.p. from your participation.

You may consider it a step towards learning how to handle yourself in difficult circumstances. Have to admit - you've never had an experience like this before!

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

No, Delfig certainly hasn't. He's going to be way in over his head, that's for sure.