Monday, March 22, 2010

Afternoon, Combat Upon The Road To Ulm

Tuesday, June 3, 1650

Taking up the combat in the middle ...

Delfig returns to his playing, and sure enough the horrid creature flashes back into visibility.  It has gone off the road, and stands in the woods about ten feet from the road's edge, amid a group of aspen.  It is grasping a tree for support, and will look at its own hand as though to understand that it is visible.

Andrej is slightly closer to it than Serafina, and both have their weapons drawn.  Emmanuel will come scuttling out from beneath the carraige, dragging rope and holding a bag of flour the size of a bread loaf.  Avel, if he is here today, is about twenty five feet behind the creature (in the woods), and up until this time unobserved.  (We may assume he is fighting with himself as to whether to take action or not).

83 comments:

Alexis said...

(OOC: For the record this week, here is my situation. After 9 weeks of employment, my boss has decided to take the week off, leaving everything under my purvue. This will either be a bad thing, or a good thing ... that is, I'll either be in hopelessly over my head, or this week is going to be dead, dead, dead, as I'm not supposed to take up any new projects but only provide maintenance for the week. I'll let you know as it happens).

Andrej said...

(OOC: Great news either way Alexis. I'm glad to see you digging in somewhere and getting paid).

Andrej approaches, closing to melee distance. "Tell me why you are attacking us, fiend."

Alexis said...

It's voice will ring upon the ear as an uncomfortable low scream - "Her, she dies, she dies, Horry suffers!"

Andrej said...

"Why must Hornung suffer? What wrong has he done to you."

Alexis said...

"Killed me family, killed me village, burned me children, killed, killed, dead, die, she dies he SUFFERS!"

Avel said...

(I LIVE! Sorry I was not able to post more last week. My access to a computer was limited.

I may also be unable to post regularly this week. My mother had a stroke this weekend, and though no permanent damage was done, I need to hang out at my parent's house and take care of her and my younger siblings. I will do my best to continue posting.)

Avel will do his best to sneak up to a position where he can either strike or tackle the thing if Andrej's conversation goes sour.

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'm sorry to hear it Avel, I hope all is well or getting better. I'll certainly understand it if you're scarce or if the group decides to hold off.)

"Who are you? What village do you speak of?"

Alexis said...

(OOC: It happened to my dad about four years ago, Avel. And Chgowiz has many recent stories. I'm glad it wasn't too serious - such things do pass, and like Andrej I hope all is well)

The creature will not answer, but will only stand in place and pant. Serafina, standing just behind Andrej, will say quietly, "Eberhardt did many things like that. Those were bad days."

Andrej said...

"You cannot harm her. We will not permit it. She is not Hornung and not answerable for his deeds. As we can see you now your advantage is spent. I do not wish to harm you if it can be helped. I am not unsympathetic to your desires, but I cannot abide by them. Go now. Abandon your vengence before it is your undoing."

Alexis said...

At that, the thing will attack. Avel is close enough to strike first from behind, but as he's not immediately here, I'll ask Andrej to roll initiative. A d6 please.

Andrej said...

d6: 2

Avel said...

Avel will strike when his initiative comes up. Posting rolls now in the event that I can not do it later.

Attack with short sword - rolled 16, hit AC 3
Damage - rolled 2, +3 from strength, total of 5.

Alexis said...

Jumping the gun there, Avel. It may have been interpreted that I was telling you to swing, but I only said you were 'close enough to strike first' ... not that you were actually striking first. The enemy rolled a 6 for initiative and actually gets the first attack. It will run forward, away from Avel, and will attack Andrej with teeth and claws:

Not entirely certain: the creature hits AC 6 for 2hp, AC 7 for 3hp and AC 9 for 2hp. What AC is Andrej? (Easier just to ask than to try and find it).

Andrej said...

OOC: Sorry guys, I got tied up yesterday afternoon through the evening. I say that figuratively :)

Andrej's AC is 7, so he took 2 hits for 5 points of dmg. With the 4 from before, that drops me to 2 (My fault for not healing myself on one of those travel days, I'm afraid).

Andrej's course of action will be to await Avel and/ or Serafina to engage, then drop back to heal himself.

Alexis said...

Andrej,

I'm not that sort of DM. You obviously would have healed yourself, if the healing power were available, and you and everyone else would be at full hit points for this combat. I am more than prepared to accept certain default realities.

But you are stunned. Serafina will step past you and miss with her sword. Avel is free to attack, +2 from behind (earlier roll ignored, must roll again).

Alexis said...

(OOC: You may or may not know why we have not seen our friend Delfig since last Thursday.

There was, apparently, a large flame war at Targa, the details of which are hard to find. Chgowiz has pulled down his website and has left a public message on twitter that he is going underground and leaving the scene. I don't know for certain what his intentions are with this campaign. For the present, I will assume his character goes on playing ... but beyond that, we can only wait and see)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I've read comments here and there regarding the flame war and have a sense of what it was about... but luckily I'm not really a memebr of "the community", just an interested and sympatheitc observer. Therefore I was spared involvement or having to witness the drama. It has always somewhat mystified me how prone to histrionic fits the online culture is. That's probably why I am generally a lurker. I don't blame Chgowiz for bailing, but I hope he comes back to our game.)

In that case, Andrej is at 6 hit points and well enough to risk an attack.

D20: 1 (ouch)

Alexis said...

Andrej wouldn't have been able to attack. Having suffered 1/4 or more of his hit points in a round, he's stunned and misses the turn.

Andrej said...

That's right. You said I was stunned. I got so focused on the whole D&D, pornstar, finger-wagging-school-marm, WoTC-as-devil-incarnate thing that I missed the meat of the post. Sorry about that.

Avel said...

Oh, the drama of the internet.

Alexis, I knew I was not going to go first. I just wanted to post my action when I had time so that I would not hold up the game. If the thing is attacking Andrej, I will still rush and attempt to brutalize it.

Alexis said...

Roll to hit, Avel.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Congrats on the additional responsibility. Hopefully this foreshadows more success in your job..

I spent last Friday through Sunday having a lot of fun, not exactly like Alexis's weekend as he described in his blog post, but I was having some fun. I was away yesterday for obvious reasons. I am continuing in this game, I enjoy playing this game.)

If I'm able to, I'd like to cast Command on our little friend whilst playing. I'm hopeful I can mix in a spell while strumming to keep the damn thing visible.

If I'm able to cast - the command is "stop attacking!" I'm hopeful my companions will do the right thing if that happens.

Andrej said...

Does "do the right thing" mean hit him in the head with my staff while he's defenseless? ;)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I was thinking subdual, but I'm the guy playing the lute, so go figure...)

Alexis said...

Delfig is completely capable of casting. Command would be one word, one verb - I presume 'stop,' but feel free the change it.

Damn my principles; I can't let the earlier roll by Avel stand, it's my policy never to accept 'early' rolls in a game (even two seconds early, if it comes to that). But I'm not in a hurry here. I'll have the creature make a saving throw when I get a confirmation from Delfig as to what word he uses for command (I'm not allowed early throws either).

Avel said...

Sorry about my delay. I was hit by an oblivious old lady while driving home. Car is now totaled. Cussed old ladies.

New attack - 5+1= 6. Miss.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Stop" it is.

Alexis said...

The command fails - the creature makes its saving throw. It turns and slashes Serafina for 2 damage with its claw ... not enough to stun her, and she attacks back. Her blow strikes the creature with the flat of the sword, causing 2 damage.

Both Avel and Andrej may attack, as the creature is now between all three of you.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(It was worth the attempt)

I'll continue playing in hopes that the creature can be killed by the three.

Alexis said...

(er hem ... 'martial strains')?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Duh. I keep forgetting that!)

Indeed, martial strains! A rousing ditty meant to help people face a strange and desperate foe, despite their wounds.

Andrej said...

Andrej, a natural lover of music, is interested in hearing some martial strains...

But attacks in the meantime

D20:5 + 1 = 6

I'm guessing the martial strains aren't quite THAT martial.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Avel ... can't believe you were in a car accident. I'd have told you to give the old lady a smack for me)

When you have the opportunity to attack, Avel.

Andrej said...

(OOC: From about 3 PM EST until tonight I'll be offline and therefore not checking/ posting. I'll try to check in tonight in case it is Andrej's move.)

Avel said...

Avel is going to try to set up his target so that Andrej is directly opposite him. If the thing moves, Avel will move with it, trying to hem it in and prevent escape.

Attack: 7, or AC Miss!

Alexis said...

Not stunned, the creature slashes with both claws and bites at Avel, but with the aid of Delfig's playing, Avel gets off with only 1 point of damage.

Serefina will miss with a 12. Avel and Andrej may strike back (Delfig's playing is good for 3 more rounds).

Andrej said...

Andrej moves in to swing again:

to Hit: 14+1 = 15
DMG (if necessary): 4 + 1 = 5

Alexis said...

That does hit ... the creature staggers back from the blow, stunned to the point where it can only attack once this round (unable to use its claws). Avel must still attack.

Avel said...

To hit - 5+1(Str)+1(bard song) = 7

Andrej is outshining Avel by a great degree.

Alexis said...

As the creature falls back, it will fall into Avel (the reason the fighter missed), and will savagely attack him with its many teeth. Avel will suffer 2 damage this round (if Avel has 8 or less hit points at this point, he's stunned).

Serefina will yet miss again with her sword. Andrej, and possibly Avel, may attack again (Delfig has two rounds left of martial music).

Avel said...

Avel remains unstunned with his massive pool of hit points!

Avel tries to shove the thing off him with his shield while stabbing at it around the sides.

Attack roll: 20 + 1 STR + 1 Bard Song = 22 or AC -2

Damage: 1 + 3 STR = 4 (I don't know the policies for rolling a natural 20, so I will leave this damage roll to stand until told otherwise.)

Andrej said...

Andrej will await the final outcome of Avel's attack, then will likely make his own.

Alexis said...

Avel's attack total is 1 + his strength +1 for Delfig's playing, then doubled as the result of the d20. Avel should roll another d20 at this time, but presently the total damage is 10.

The creature shudders, and a wide blue gash appears across its chest. It moves back half a step, collapses, and ends up stretched out upon the ground.

Could I have the party's immediate actions only (those happening in the next 12 seconds) ... Serefina does little more than gaze, and press her hand to the small cut she received earlier.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will keep playing.

Andrej said...

Andrej will approach within a staff's length of the creature, keeping his eye on it. Sometime after the 12 seconds you mention, assuming it is indeed dead, he'll want to perform a burial ceremony to prevent this thing from coming back, whatever it is.

Andrej said...

Nice shot Avel.

Andrej said...

P.S. : Alexis, I realize now that I should have only taken one hit from the creature (the one hitting AC 6) as my AC is 6 and not 7 (studded leather and Dex 15). So my hp should be 9 vs. 6.

Andrej said...

(Gents, I'll be away for the next few hours taking care of work stuff. I'll try to check back in after 1 PM EST.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'll give Avel until 1 p.m. EST to answer, and then I'll move this along. This combat is taking forever)

Alexis said...

The creature will move again; within just a round, a shivering quickly moves through the hideous body ... and after two rounds, a sharp sucking sound is heard - Andrej can see with his eyes the open wound firmly closing up again ... and the creature's eyes open.

Andrej said...

Alexis, does my scholarly specialization in legendary creatures allow me an ability to identify this thing?

Alexis said...

Sucks being first level ... you only have a 3.5% chance, and no.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"KILL IT!" I yell above my music as the thing shudders.

Andrej said...

Andrej will attack and yell "Emmanuel, light a torch!"

D20: 1

ouch

Alexis said...

Emmanuel will jump at the order, fumbling a bit before climbing back in underneath the wagon. "Get a rope, he says ... get flour he says ... why don't he know what he wants ...?"

(Of course, only Delfig can hear this, with perception and all - spell must be running out soon, however, no?)

Andrej has had his last bonus from Delfig's playing. He had to win initiative before he swung, but I've chosen to have 'Serafina' roll it to keep this battle moving along. She won initiative. She steps forward and successfully hits, causing five points of damage. She leaves her sword in the creature, and twists it each time the creature awakes.

"Cease playing, friend Delfig ... I have it now," Serafina says. "I think I can see it with or without your play."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I look a little wide-eyed at Serafina and my playing dies down awkwardly (think of discordant plinking...)

"Cut off it's head." I suggest.

Andrej said...

Delfig, I say go for it.

Alexis, once the head is clean-hewn, I'll take the torch that Emmanuel hopefully returns with and light the wretched creature ablaze.

Alexis said...

You can all see it, though the music stops ... Andrej guesses (without knowing) that the creature must cloud the mind somehow until it's presence is too evident to be denied. Serefina will say she doesn't want to take her sword out and give it a chance to get away - but if someone else wishes to cut off its head, she thinks its a good idea.

Emmanuel will come out with a torch, and will proceed to light it with Father Jan's old flint.

(Andrej, just for reference - I have it that you've suffered 6 damage altogether ... 2 from the creature's attack and 4 from the damage when the carriage was overthrown. If that doesn't match your calculations, please update your character and let me know how many hp you have now)

Andrej said...

(OOC: You have it right by my count. 9 hit points left of 15 total)

word verification: pusses (I really having nothing further to add)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will draw my sword and look at the creature.

"May God have mercy on your soul. This revenge has brought your doom."

At that, I'll administer a coup-de-grace.

Andrej said...

Meanwhile, once the torch is ready Andrej will ask/ indicate Emmanuel to hand it over and light body and head, allowing Serafina an instant to pull her sword free and step back. Assuming this prevents further regeneration, Andrej will perform the burial ceremony to prevent it from rising as undead.

Alexis said...

Delfig successfully chops off the creature's head, releasing a black ichor that Andrej immediately recognizes as associated with creatures that are undead - so that it could not become undead, it already is. He knows at this point that he might have 'turned' the creature, had he tried. Emmanuel hands him the torch.

(I'll leave it to you to say that you're burning it ... I don't want to assume that action)

Andrej said...

"For dust you are, and to dust you shall return."

Andrej will burn the creature, taking care to leave some of the ichor and electing now to not burn the head, then perform the rite of burial anyway.

"This ichor may have some value to an apothocary, who might also be able to identify the creature. It was an undead thing. Most likely driven to this state by Hornung's actions."

Avel said...

(Sorry guys. It seems I'm never sitting down anymore.)

"I say we leave it where it lies. Don't touch any of that black crap, don't take body parts, just burn it and move. We don't know if it had friends or if it has some other trick up its sleeve."

Avel will clean off his weapons and assist in the burning.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Or Hornung might recognize the creature or that which spawned it."

Andrej said...

"Hmmm... I understand your caution, Avel, but I'm afraid my curiosity is greater than my fear. What say we burn the neck... cauterize it. Then put it into a sack. We could likewise empty out a bottle of beer and take some of the ichor in that."

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'll be offline for the rest of the afternoon, and will check in this evening. In the event that we ajourn for the weekend, have a good one all.)

Alexis said...

We can adjourn for the weekend ... but I should tell you, the head's eyes will open, the creature will emit gutteral sounds of anger and it's quite clear that the head will still be alive.

What container does Andrej put the ichor in?

Andrej said...

Never mind. Andrej tosses the head onto the ground for one of Avel, Delfig or Serafina to split it open. Then he will burn it and the ichor.

Avel said...

"Andrej, I can dig a grave. We can lower the creature's body into it, bury it, and you could give last rites and consecrate the burial. Perhaps that will put it down for good. At the least, it will be under several hundred pounds of dirt."

Avel will take his mace and mash the head until the skull is pulped. If at any point it looks like it will reform, he continues to pound it until movement stops.

Alexis said...

Allow me to mete out the experience:

Andrej = 290
Avel = 280
Delfig = 250

Ten percent has not been added - if you're entitled, please do so.

In the ashes, before you pile on the dirt, you will see glitterings ... upon examination, you will find six silver teeth - they seem inanimate, and fairly substantial in size. You would guess each of them at an ounce.

(OOC: My boss gets back today, so I really have no idea what sort of day I'm going to have. I'll post if it works out that way)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Question for you, please, regarding XP % bonus. In your original !@%$#!@ Bard post, you said that Bards do not get a bonus. However, in this comment in the hippogriff battle post, you said Wiz/Cha/Dex had to be more than 16.

While in either case I'm not eligible, I'm anal enough to want to know which it is... does your later ruling/post supercede your original Bard post?

Thanks for keeping up with this with your job. Hope your day/week goes well.)

Alexis said...

Take the later comment. The bard is always very slightly changing. For example, the original post lists the martial music lasting six rounds a level, but it has since been changed to 4 rounds/level. It is that way with experimental class inventions.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Oh, no inconvenience at all! I'm glad to see you're still tweaking him. Are you also tweaking the requirements for the class to be W/C/D at 16+? I had always thought the prime requisite to be in class was same to gain the bonus, but I might also be mixed up on that. I kinda like being the guinea pig. I'm also hoping that at the end of this adventure, we can see if Delfig actually managed to make a 1st level creation, such as it is.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: For what its worth I've been digging the bard class as presented and played here.)

Andrej will scoop up the silver teeth, provded the ashes are cool, and give one each to Avel, Serafina & Delfig. The remaining three he will keep, explaining one is for his use and the other two will go for stores replinishment and party expenses. If there's no opposition to Andrej handling them, that is. Also, there is Emmanuel's pay. How much are we supposed to be paying Emmanuel anyway?

Alexis said...

I have a 4th level bard in my offline campaign, and my daughter has a 1st level bard in hers ... so there's been lots of experimentation. We've just about got the class settled, but of course there will be higher level issues to be considered. At present, and with no expectation that it will ever be changed, yes, for the bard/thief a 16 or better W/D/Ch requirement would be needed to get 10%.

Emmanuel has been happy just to eat with the party, and to travel. His background is being a landless person, forced to labor for virtually no wages and with no property rights ... while the party treats him quite well. Serafina has no need for the silver tooth you're offering (giving the explanation that Hornung is quite wealthy), and would rather not take it. So you have the one extra, to do with as the party sees fit.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(We have all been contributing in our own ways to the ongoing adventure. I suggest we each take 2 (Avel, Andrej, Delfig) and continue to contribute equally.)

Andrej said...

2 each it is.

Let us see about getting the horses and carriage in order, yes? Also there is the matter of the dead stag. Is anybody willing to try cleaning, cooking and eating it given its origin? Andrej, an easy-going gormand, is of course willing... but he understands his wisdom might be clouded with thoughs of roasted haunches and savory cuts of meat.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I, in my true paranoid fashion, will be worried that more might appear. If there was one, there might be more. He will help Emmanuel attend to the carriage. Are both horses OK? Is the carriage travel worthy?

Andrej, do as you like, but let's not wait around here too long.

Andrej said...

"Pity to waste such fine-looking fare, and we famished from a long day's travel and the fight, but your caution is not without base, friend Delfig. Let us set the carriage aright and be off." Andrej will examine the horses for injury, using his skill as a husbandman, then provide whatever aid in getting the carriage upright is needed, assuming that's possible and the damage to it does no prevent its use.

Alexis said...

One of the horses is in very bad condition. If it is to live past today, it will need to be healed with Andrej's spell. The other horse is fine.

The carriage is serviceable, if banged up some. I'd say it's overall value has declined about 10%.

Emmanuel is willing to give a try at cutting the steer, but Serefina worries if it would be healthy, since it was being ridden by something undead.

Andrej said...

I agree with Serafina and call off Emmanuel, but promise him venison steaks for he and I when I come into the means to provide (slapping my belly with both hands to emphasize the forthcoming gustatory pleasure). As for the horse, consider it healed: 7 hit points. Let's be off.

Alexis said...

Next post.