Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Morning, Up the Furka Pass

Thursday, May 29, 1650

As it will take a full day to reach the base of the Furka Pass, and since nothing special happens on that day, we will skip ahead to the day after, to the start of the climb.  Please take note and distribute food as necessary. 

The party can take charge of a sack of turnips (22 lbs.), and a sack holding 4 lbs. of salt pork, 3 lbs. of gorgonzola cheese and twenty hard, as yet unripe pears, all from Serafina.  She's happy to eat whatever the party eats.  There are the two kegs - not barrels, I originally said kegs - of ale also, with 12 gallons each.  Lastly, Serafina has a 10 lb. sack of a strange fruit, which Delfig is not likely to have ever tasted; Andrej might have had one or two opportunities in his journeys, and Avel would remember them from his boyhood in the Crimea.  We call them 'apricots.'

With full bellies, the party may begin their climb.  It is arduous, of course, but not immensely so - Andrej and Delfig are familiar with mountains, and Avel too ... though perhaps none quite so high.  The journey is, nevertheless, uncomfortably long.  The day is cloudy, fairly cool, which the party realizes by the afternoon is a blessing.  The road switches back and forth, back and forth, ever higher, until all and sundry are certain that the road will climb right off the top of the mountain and directly into the clouds.  Andrej is reminded of stories of Purgatory, which is a mountain that is not climbed until every sin is paid for.

He is wondering what sins he is paying for now, as the sun edges towards three in the afternoon, hoping the top of the pass will come soon so that spending the night at the top will not be necessary.  As it happens, at this moment, Andrej is in front of the party.  The carriage has slid, and been adroitly braked by Avel, whereupon he's back pedalled some twenty yards.  Delfig fell back with the carriage (to avoid being run over), while Serafina was able to press against the mountain and let the carriage slide by.

Now Avel is resting the horses for five minutes, and Andrej sees it is done well and there's no need for him to rush to calm the animals.  And besides, it is a steep twenty yards, and Andrej has already climbed it ... going down will mean climbing it again.  He is tired, and not immediately anxious to do so.

(Which is not to say the character couldn't go down ... only that he's experiencing the exhaustion that naturally comes from wearing out the body).

In any event, there is a very pleasant looking rock to Andrej's right.  He is likely eying it, to sit down, when a sound comes that is not rock scraping upon rock.  It is, however, scraping.

108 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Not knowing what Andrej has heard...)

I'll check with Serafina to make sure she's alright and then with Avel to see if there is anything that I need to do. Otherwise, I'll look around me down at the clouds beneath, just taking in the sight for inspiration for my ballad.

Andrej said...

I've made note of the food and will subtract a day's worth for 5 people after this post.

I'll assume Andrej already has his staff in hand, as that is his habit. He crouches slightly to be more ready to spring into some necessary action. Is the sound coming from behind the rock or elsewhere? Does it sound like metal scraping?

Andrej said...

P.S. today we ate: flour & potato dumplings w/ beets & turnips, flavored with salt pork (8.5 lbs total). As treat we split a lb of the apricots, the last 1/2 lb of avel's cheese and 1 gallon of beer. Don't get used to eating so well! :)

Alexis said...

Serafina is fine; the carriage slipping in this manner has happened dozens of times.

(As regards food, it is well to remember that on a heavy effort day eating 2-3 lbs of food each is quite likely - and it is reflected in Andrej's total)

Andrej,

It may have been metal, but perhaps too soft for that. I wish to describe your surroundings a bit more elaborately:

There is a great deal of gray stone, with some brownstone about, as you are well above the tree line, above 6,000 ft. elevation (perhaps above 7,000 ft., you can't be sure). The rocks are not loose for the most part, but there are a great many crevices above you or below you ... in this case, the scraping sound - which comes again - can definitely be heard above you, and forward of your position on the road.

Far above you, while much of the snow cap has fallen away, there are still some large masses of snow that might potentially avalance - but NOT above you, as apparently where you are there occurred an avalanche sometime this year - probably months ago. Many of the stones show freshly exposed surfaces, telling you this.

What action would you like to take?

Andrej said...

"Be alert all of you, there is something about." I call down to my companions.

I wish to move both up the road toward the sound, but also further out to the opposite edge of the road and away from the sound. In this way I'm hoping to acheive a better viewing perspective on what it is. At all times I'll be facing the source of the danger and looking up, except when I may need to find my footing.

Avel said...

At Andrej's call, Avel passes control of the carriage over Emmanuel. Avel dismounts, and readying he shield begins climbing up to meet Andrej.

Avel said...

(*his* shield)

Alexis said...

Andrej catches sight of something big - and black - about ten yards up the mountain from where he's standing right now; Avel is about halfway between Andrej and the wagon, and Delfig and Serafina a few yards further away than Avel.

Andrej said...

Can I recognize what it is? Do I notice any other features aside from its bigness and blackness? Do I smell or hear anything unusual?

Alexis said...

A ranger might ... but not a cleric.

Not to worry. It is evident but a few moments later -

Its body has the appearance of an emaciated horse, showing ribs, covered with dark grey hair, long and matted in clumps over its body. The front legs extend so as to be horse like, but end in hooves that are longer and more narrow than a horse's hooves, claw-like but falling short of being claws. The head of the animal is predictably avian - except that it is the head of a large, black crow, with sleek feathers, a strong, slightly hooked beak.

Alexis said...

Ah, and it appears some 25 feet above you.

Andrej said...

Alexis, does my specilaty in legendary creatures allow me to identify the creature? (I have to admit, as a player I'm at a loss... I was thinking hippogriff until the crow part).

I'll indictae to the party where the thing is and say, "It looks hungry and might be more interested in the horses than us... I'm of a mind not to give them up, all being equal."

Alexis said...

It is a fair guess that it is one of a many breeds of hippogriff - the animal is not limited to eagles, when mixed with birds.

Andrej said...

Well guys, it has yet to make a move toward us and I'm hesitant to pick a fight... but I've little doubt that thing will try for the horses and that's not going to happen. What are your thoughts?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I don't know what I "know" about these legendary creatures either... )

I say we wait to see if it attacks or moves off. No reason to engage it unecessarily.

Alexis said...

The creature will steadily hump its way down to the road, generally towards Andrej ... moving perhaps five feet a round.

Andrej said...

"Delfig, get that crossbow ready my friend."

Andrej backs up with the intnent of meeting Avel halfway between each of our current positions, to remain between the horses and the thing

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll reach into the carriage and get the crossbow and cock it fully.

"Emmanuel, do you think you can unhook the horses quickly enough that if we get embroiled in combat, you can take them away?"

"Fraulein, it may be that combat shall ensue. Please... go with Emmanuel and the horses should we have to fight this thing. Your safety is our charge."

Avel said...

Once Avel sees Andrej backing up, he will stop and wait for him. Once he arrives, Avel will place himself to the front and slightly left of the friar, giving him room to fight around his right (I doubt he could fight over Avel) while being able to hide behind the man's shield and bulk.

"Maybe we can scare it off? If we're loud and scary enough, it may decide the meal is not worth it. I know I can make a Hell of a ruckus."

Avel will heft his javelin. I won't get a chance to check to blog after 12:30 for about an hour or so, so if everyone is amenable to the idea, Avel will start banging his javelin against his shield and shouting.

Andrej said...

Bang away, just don't forget to throw that thing before you go. :)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Yes, try to startle it... but be ready if it takes that the wrong way!"

Alexis said...

Emmanuel immediately sets to unhooking the horses and setting the brake on the carriage. Serafina takes quite a bit of offense at Delfig’s suggestion – “I am not some helpless flower, signor Delfig.” She draws her sword and holds it well. “I will acquit myself if need be, and will not be put aside.” She will move forward to stand a few feet behind Avel, to the opposite side as Andrej.

The creature will climb down onto the road just prior to Avel’s banging with his javelin ... whereupon it will back up, stand stock still, tilt its head and shudder. It will straighten, take a step to the right, tilt its head and shudder. At that point, then, it will preen the front of its coat.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I am only thinking of my charge and duty, Fraulein."

I'll draw a bead on the hippogriff, stepping away so that Emmanuel can get by me with the horses.

(OOC note: Alexis, even at risk of death, I will abandon any stated action and attempt to keep danger from coming to Serafina. So if the hippogriff were to charge Serafina, I would drop the crossbow and run to interpose myself. I feel that strongly in my self-penance after what happened in Dachau.)

Avel said...

Avel seems encouraged by the creature's actions. He continues to yell and bang his shield. Being unsure what noises to make, he starts to chant with the his shield banging.

"Go away big thing! You're scary and you can't have our horses! Go away big thing! You're scary and you can't have our horses!"

Avel said...

(OOC - got to head out for a bit. Avel will continue the 'go away hippogriff' song until it either goes away or attacks. If combat ensues, I will throw my javelin, pull my sword, and stand to receive. If rolls are needed, please roll for me. Don't want to slow the game down.)

Andrej said...

"As long as its eating its feathers, I suppose we have no objection, yes? (long pause) How long do we wait Herr Kolhupfer?"

Alexis said...

The creature will react to Avel's song by stepping forward several feet, and clacking its beak together in rapid succession. It will do this again, until it is about 15' away.

Avel said...

Avel immediately stops.

"I guess enthusiasm is not going to deter it. Sorry everyone."

Avel shifts his javelin to an overhand grip and cocks his arm, ready to throw.

Andrej said...

"Don't feel sorry, lad. The beast looks hungry. That's a very strong motivation."

Andrej is ready for the fight.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Wait a minute!" I say...

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I look to see how fast I can grab a hunk of the salt pork... no bigger than my hand. (Assuming I can do this fast enough before the creature does anything hostile...)

I will toss the hunk close to the creature, slightly beside it.

Andrej said...

OOC: Is this one of those "scanning the character sheet and Eureka!" monents

Alexis said...

The beast will come forward five feet, stare at Serafina, and blink its eyes. And then cock its head again. It's back hooves will dig into the dirt and stones of the road, and the creature will back up again ... a few feet.

Andrej said...

"Hey, I was saving that for dinner you cad!"

:)

Alexis said...

Very hesitantly it will survey the meat ... and then it will snap it up.

Andrej said...

"Fire!, it's going to lunge!"

Andrej charges the beast.

Andrej said...

Can I take that back?

Alexis said...

Nope.

I'll need a d6.

Andrej said...

d6: 6

Alexis said...

Given that the beast was in the process of eating, it is -1 on initiative (so Andrej chose a good moment). It rolls a 3, giving the party first strike. Andrej swings, Avel can throw his javelin, Delfig can fire crossbow if he wishes ... Serafina will hang back, waiting for an opening.

When I get a d20 or other action from everybody, I'll move on.

Andrej said...

Andrej indeed swings at the creature.

to hit: 20 (not natural)
damage: 6 (+1) = 7

(I'm on a roll!)

Andrej said...

Wait! that was supposed to be 4 damage plus 1 for 5 total. I was looking at the initiative roll on my screen for the dice roller and not the subsequent dmg roll. Sorry.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Shiesse!" and I fire my crossbow at the creature.

d20: 1 (and double/triple shiesse!)

Followon d6: 3 (if I remember correctly... you required the d6 for high/low rolls?)

"Andrej! It wasn't going to charge! Gott im himmel!"

Alexis said...

(OOC: d6 is rolled by any member of the party to determine the party's intiative against an enemy - in this case, Andrej made the first move, so he rolled the d6)

Anonymous said...

D6 roll for initiative is a 2.

"It doesn't matter now, Delfig! Take it down!"

Avel hurls his javelin. Rolled an 18. Do I apply my strength bonus to hit with thrown weapons? Rolled a 3+3 from str for a total of 6 damage

Alexis said...

d6 initiative was a 6 and Andrej rolled it. I assume Avel is 'Anonymous' ... please identify if you can't log in normally.

No strength bonus added to thrown weapons (except in special cases, in which this is not one) ... so damage is 3.

Avel said...

Sorry, didn't realize I was anonymous until after the post.

Alexis said...

It occurs to me, Delfig, that since you rolled a 1, you must roll a d6 to see if you broke your crossbow. Another 1 indicates that you have.

Alexis said...

Suddenly the creature moves faster than any of you would have thought possible. It kicks Andrej twice with its front hooves, (hitting AC 1 and AC -2), causing 7 damage altogether and knocking Andrej off the road ... he slides on scree for about twenty feet, taking one additional damage (incidental, as according to my rules, as the beast weighs enough). This will stun Andrej, as it is enough to stun up to 28 hp.

The creature rushes forward, striking Avel with one shoulder (1 hp damage) and stabbing at Delfig with its beak (hitting AC 4). Delfig suffers 2 hp damage, enough to stun up to 8 hp. I don’t think Delfig is stunned.
Avel and Delfig can pull out weapons (large or small) and still be close enough to hit. Serafina already has her sword out, and will stab at the creature’s head.

Like Delfig in the previous round, she rolls a 1. She doesn’t break her weapon, and quickly regains it.

I await Delfig’s and Avel’s actions.

Avel said...

Avel will pull his sword and try to maneuver himself between the creature and Delfig. As he does so, he'll take a stab at the thing.

Rolled a 3+1=4. I'm going to assume I miss this time.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OK, so with me by the carriage, and Avel, Andrej and Serafina between me and it, it attacked Andrej, blew him away, attacked Avel then ran over to me by the carriage and attacked me. So it's between me and Avel/Serafina.)

I am down to 10hp (started at 12, still down one due to the large pot.)

I draw my long sword and attack.

d20: 16
d12 (for large): 8

Andrej said...

Andrej, stunned, awaits the next round.

Alexis said...

Delfig,

It surprises me, I failed to make note on my house rules that weapons cause the same amount of damage to any size of creature. I do make a passing reference to it on this post: http://tao-dnd.blogspot.com/2009/10/newtons.html; but I did fail to mention it on the critical document. Your call, Delfig - I'll accept the 8 damage as given, or you can choose to roll again.

One point, the creature did not 'attack' Avel ... the damage was done by the creature shouldering him out of the way on his way to attack Delfig. That's 'incidental damage' as I define it.

Andrej,

Stunned you may be, but there's the dull shine of metal amid the rocks but a few feet from where you've come to a stop.

Andrej said...

Hmmm... perhaps a sign of the victims of the recent avalanche? Will investigate further once we kill or drive off our friend here.

Andrej will cast a cure light wounds on himself on his next opportunity.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I had rolled a "2" with the 1d8 when I realized it was a large creature. Would you be willing to split the difference at 5?)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I purposefully haven't looked at this all weekend - sorry to leave everyone hanging in the lurch. I'll do as much as I can today)

Delfig, we can call it 5, that's fine.

The creature rises back and buffets its wings - a good 20-foot span - enough to blow up some grit, some of which gets in Serafina's eyes. She suffers 1 damage. The creature backs into Avel, causing him 1 damage also. Then it rushes at Delfig.

But at this point the creature puts its foreleg down wrong and loses its balance - so much that it drops its head all the way to the ground. As such, it gets no other attacks.

Delfig, Serafina and Avel may all attack. Serafina hits with her sword, causing 3 damage.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll attack again with my sword.

Attack - d20: 19
Damage - d8: 5

Alexis said...

My error. Andrej can also take what actions he wishes.

Avel said...

Avel will continue to try to put his bulk between the thing and his companions.

Yelling over his shoulder, "Delfig, get back! This thing can put you down faster than you'll blink!"

Avel takes another hack at it.

Roll to hit: 6 (AC 13. Ha!)

Andrej said...

Andrej casts cure light wounds on himself: 1d4+4 = 5 hit points

His next action will be to attempt to climb back up to the road and his companions.

Alexis said...

Everyone accounted for, then.

Delfig’s blow knocks the creature back – it has clearly been hurt, as it squawks and spins. Serafina is caught by a wing and takes one damage, while the creature is able to sweep out with one of its front ‘claws’ (hoof?) and catch Avel across the side of the head for 6 damage. Avel would be stunned, and lands on his bottom on the road, shaking his head clear and taking no action next round.

The creature ends by falling onto its back legs, in a sitting position. That is all it does.

Andrej can climb to the level of the road, or take some other action. Serafina rolls a 10 and misses. It is all up to Delfig.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(BTW, here is my roll for breaking my crossbow. I apologize that I missed that request: d6: 3 - whew.)

I'll continue my attack. (If it's on the ground, is it prone?)

d20: 17
d8: 1 (ugh. argh. Sorry, guys...)

Andrej said...

Andrej will indeed climb back up, making a mental note of where he landed for later, and will attempt to hit the hippogriff as soon as he is able.

Alexis said...

Delfig does not stun the creature, but it takes flight ... it will beat its wings, within the round rising ten feet above the road – close enough that a weapon could still be thrown at it. It does no damage, either through attacking or with incidental damage (as it is withdrawing).

The party’s move. Serafina takes no action, other than to stand at the ready.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will sheathe my sword, go back to my crossbow and begin reloading it, while keeping an eye on the creature to possibly duck out the way of an attack.

Andrej said...

Lacking a distance weapon, Andrej will stand to the right of Avel (assuming he's finished his climb).

Alexis said...

Only waiting on Avel, who is free to take an action.

Andrej said...

Andrej meanwhile grumbles about losing the hunk of salt pork and the unliklihood of us now eating hippogriff to offset that.

Avel said...

(Clearly, the irony of that blow to the head after my statement had stunned me in real life as well!)

Avel will stumble to his feet and look around for his javelin. Barring being able to easily see and get to it, he will try to get his hatchet out of its strapped position on his pack and toss it at the hippogriff.

If I get to the axe - Attack roll of 5-1 for non-proficient. A wide miss. Alexis, if you determine I can get my hands on my javelin and throw it this round instead, that is what is chucked. Still a miss, but may be important later on.

Alexis said...

Avel, if you speak of the first javelin you threw, than no, it would take a round to get it, and a round after that to throw it (it didn't fly to range since you hit with it).

But it doesn't matter. The creature takes to wing, takes off across the valley. Delfig gets his crossbow loaded, and you watch to see if there's any sign that it will turn and re-approach, and there isn't. The creature becomes a speck, then is lost from sight.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

- deep sigh -

- unload crossbow -

I look at Andrej and judging from what I imagine is the look on his face, nothing more needs to be said. I give a quick prayer of thanks that we managed to overcome such a nasty foe.

"Emmanuel, lets hook up the horses and move forward a ways further. I don't know if these things come in packs."

Alexis said...

Earlier when I said that I had done enough to stun up to 28 points to Andrej who slid down the slope, I didn’t count the 1 pt. of damage he suffered … so actually, I had done enough to stun up to 32 hit points.

X.P.

Andrej: 310
Avel: 290
Delfig: 250
Serafina: 170 (for my notes)

(please keep always in mind that suffering damage gives more X.P. than delivering it)

Alexis said...

As ever, I'm not adding the 10% bonus; Delfig gets it if his wisdom, charisma and dexterity are all 16 or over; Andrej if his wisdom is 16 or over; and Avel if his strength is 16 or over.

Andrej said...

Once we gather ourselves after the departure of the beast, I make mention to my companions of the glint I saw when I slid down the side of the road. I recommend we get some rope and lower me back down to investigate further. I know I could probbaly climb down, but the rope is a precaution. Also, I recommend me becuase Delfig and Avel both are pretty massive guys. I'm only 5'4. Also, they can keep their missile weapons handy.

current xp total: 1125

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Let us be done with this quickly, Andrej." I'll hold the rope, although I'm not especially strong.

Andrej said...

"Perhaps Avel is the right guy for rope-holding in the event I need to be pulled up. Delfig, my friend, keep that crossbow loaded and handy and have Emmanuel and Serafina watch the road forward andd back while you keep your eyes on the sky. I will be quick, I swear it."

If all are agreeable, Alexis, let's proceed as above. Andrej will keep his staff handy if it might assist his going down. If not, I'll wedge it between or into my backpack somehow.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Emmanuel should continue to rehitch the horses in case we need to leave quickly."

Andrej said...

"Good point. It should be as you say. You and Serafina will keep the watch then?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Yes." I'll *reload* my crossbow and keep watch.

Alexis said...

Precautions thus made, Andrej must search briefly before finding the place again. Yes, it is definitely a glint of metal, buried beneath the loose rock. About the size of a breadbox.

Avel said...

After recovering my weapons I will anchor the rope as directed.

Andrej said...

I will attempt to remove the loose rock around the item and avoid touching the item itself as much as is possible, working quickly but carefully. Do I notice any other details?

Alexis said...

It is definitely a helmet, apparently face down. It will require a tool to loosen it, as it is part frozen into the earth (the temperature up here, I've failed to mention, is just a few degrees above freezing).

One thing you can be certain of ... the helmet couldn't have been buried here this last season - unless someone has a taste for armor that has been centuries out of date.

You'd estimate this dating from about the millenium before this one.

Andrej said...

Could I find a rock narrow enough to use as a pry-tool? I have little on hand aside from my staff. If so, I will try to pry the helment loose from the frozen rock.

Alexis said...

I'll accept that. The helmet is not deeply buried. You can knock it loose ... you'll find a skull in it - with part of the upper spine. The rest of the body isn't evident. There's a chain with a bronze medallion hooked into the vertebra of the spine.

Andrej said...

Interesting. Is the chain bronze as well? Does the medallion depict anything or have any further decoration? Is it badly verdigrised? What of the helmet? Is it iron, bronze or something else? Does it have an unusual or recognizable shape?

Alexis said...

The chain is also bronze. The medallion has an image of a sun with twelve points. On the reverse side, there are sharp ridges where the metal is raised, and there are words that read, "thesaurus prohibitus."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I have an INT of 10, which allows me 2 additional languages. Given that I studied medicine, would it be a stretch to be able to use one of those languages and rule that I can read/understand Latin?)

Andrej said...

Great thinking Delfig.

Alexis, What more can you tell me about the helmet?

Alexis said...

Let's assume that Andrej has brought the collection up to the party, so these questions are relevant. Delfig - the medicine is fair, but in this case a little thin ... neither is a latin word likely to be used in describing the body (and neither word is a verb, which I would give you).

Andrej, you can't quite identify the helmet, but Serafina thinks it might be from the period of the Lombards. They ruled northern Italy 800 years ago. There's a sharp point of metal covering either cheek, and a high spur on the helmet's top, with a short knob and spike on the very peak.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I didn't think about languages at chargen. What's your ruling on languages known? Do we state at chargen? Do you assign randomly? I think this is the first time we've had any sort of need for it.)

Andrej said...

I'm OK with that assumption. I'll turn both the helmet and the medallion over to delfig and/ or Serafina, then ask Avel to be ready while I go back down. I'd like to poke around in the scree a bit more, particularly around where we discovered the helmet and medallion.

By the way, my instinct tells me that the medallion is possibly a key of some kind, given the raised edges on one side and the latin I can't unlearn despite Andrej's illiteracy.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Andrej, let's not spend too much time here, or we'll be on the mountains after sundown."

Andrej said...

"Noted, friend Delfig. Allow me a brief look about and we can be gone soon. While I'm below, look up upon the face of the mountian beside us and above the scree... are there any openings that could be caves?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll look as Andrej asks, but I'll also reply, my irritation giving my voice a sharper edge. "We do not have time to dig in scree or look in caves. We have a creature whose very lair could be above us and who could bring down more of their number. Let us be done with this quickly!"

Andrej said...

jokingly and gently: "A creature that most likely wouldn't return if it didn't expect you to serve it dinner. Besides, I think Avel's ugliness drove it away." I toss Avel a wink and descend the slope.

:)

Alexis said...

Delfig - I’m not certain the meaning of the phrase, “do we state at chargen?” On languages known, you know common. Other languages only occur if they are dead languages, usually Latin (since I know some Latin) ... and of course the occasional foreign word the DM knows. I am not good with languages, which is why my world tends not to have any. I will throw in Latin occasionally as a puzzle.

Delfig can confirm as a thief that it definitely is a key, without question, for the reasons Andrej names. I had meant to mention this yesterday.

You don’t see any caves, but a quick walk down the mountain will reveal a coin, between the rocks. It is copper, and has a bear on one side and a face on the other, with the word ‘Desiderius’ curved around the face. It is done in the style that suggests Desiderius is the head’s name.

Andrej said...

Andrej shall return with the coin, flipping it to Serafina "Is this familair to you Serafina?"

"I understand your urgency, Delfig, but are you not tanatalized by these bits and pieces?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"No, not enough that I wish to remain exposed on a mountain pass with the day passing us by without having shelter. I wish to get back to Dachau with Serafina. We can always return if you wish to dig for treasure."

Andrej said...

Understanding the importance of this particular task to Delfig, Andrej shall relent. "Let us be off to Dachau, then, if we are all agreed. We can talk of these things later."

Alexis, Andrej would like to mark a stone... with a cross, scraped with another stone and set beside the road, cross side down to protect the mark from the elements.

Also, I ask those present to assist me in gathering stones enough for a small cairn. Andrej assumes the skull and spine have not been properly buried and will go about the specifics of quickly doing so. This we shall pile near the stone that was marked.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will help, if anything to just get ourselves back on the move more quickly.

Avel said...

(Sorry guys, had to go to Mass for the first time in 10 years for a paper.)

"I agree with Delfig. As curious as I am about that helmet, we should move. We can always return later. Besides, those things may travel in packs."

Avel will help pile the cairn and mark the site.

Andrej said...

(OOC: no worries, Avel. But as a Catholic missionary, Andrej is rather disappointed in your lack of proper observance.)

Alexis said...

Andrej – to mark your place on the path, Emmanuel will suggest cutting either the donkey or one of the horses for the blood. Cutting an animal like this was a common practice for making blood pudding for peasant folk during times of starvation, or during a particularly long winter.

Serafina cannot identify anything about the coin other than what you know. She isn’t versed in history or any particular knowledge, coming from peasant stock.

Emmanuel will help with the building of a cairn also.

(OOC: I will make the next post as soon as possible, but don’t expect it until 2 p.m. EST.)

Andrej said...

In that case, donkey's blood it is and I'll check back sometime after 2 PM EST.

Fun session since we've picked back up. I know Delfig wasn't pleased about fighting the hippogriff (I'm still not sure how much of that was playing the character and how much was Chgowiz's actual annoyance), but in the sequence I read the posts, Delfig tossed the meat and the thing seemd to ignore it, instead looking about to rear forward at Serafina. Given that, the fight seemed not only inevitable but already upon us. When I read Alexis's next entry about it stopping to consider the meat, I did have second thoughts, but with the luxury of hindsight I probably wouldn't change anything that I did.

If that was all in-character, Chgowiz, bravo! I thought the added tension of minor conflict between us was a nice touch. If you're sincerely annoyed at how I approached the situation, though, I don't know what else to say.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(It was all in character and thank you! I enjoy playing with you and there's absolutely nothing you have done to make me annoyed - you play Andrej very well. The Dimh (Delfig in my head) on the other hand, he's pretty sure we just avoided a huge mess that was caused in part by your impetuousness and he just wants to get his rear back to Dachau and get back to his first creation. It's really bugging him, how every move he makes seems to end up cursed. This whole thing has made him somewhat paranoid.)

Avel said...

(OOG question - Alexis, my inability to use 2 handed weapons extends to things such as bows and crossbows as well, right?)

(Chowiz - I can always really get Delfig's annoyance and nervousness! Solid RP job there.)

Alexis said...

Yes, Avel, same inability.

Campaign continued on the next post.