Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mid Afternoon, Sion

Tuesday, May 27, 1650

All is bound up, packed, made ready and set to go.  The town clock has not yet struck 3 p.m., the sun promises three hours of daylight and Serafina is anxious to make way without waiting another day.

She is uncertain of which direction to proceed, however; down the valley, in the direction by which the party arrived, or up the valley, up river to the Furka Pass, the route directly to Zurich.  The pass is 7,992 ft., and may still be deep in snow even this late in the year, though that is not likely, as it has been a warm spring.  It would almost certainly be a shorter journey.

Serafina will leave it up to the party.

21 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Is there any danger related to Furka Pass in terms of currently known conflicts between groups, or known banditry or legendary creatures? Would we be able to take the carriage over the the pass?

(That picture "Deep in Thought" - the gentleman is a spitting image of author Mr. R. J. Rubel. He is an amazing Man to talk to.)

Andrej said...

Lacking some compelling reason otherwise, such as in the form of an answer to Delfig's questions above, I prefer taking the pass. If we suspect trouble on the road, either from Hornung's enemies or our own, then any less predictable route would be preferred. Besides, we've already been the other way... :)

Alexis said...

There is a fair potential for bandits, or monsters, as the pass is necessarily apart from civilized country ... 'wilderness' would apply, given that no one can live up there.

The carriage could be brought over the pass, as there is a winding road that makes its way up the mountain (granted, with a cliff on one side for much of the journey).

(OOC: the Furka Pass, incidentally, is featured in the first half of the movie Goldfinger, if you were interested.

The image is Sandro Botticelli's St. Augustine; Botticelli is the self-portrait that I use for my avatar)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Ah, very cool: http://www.old-picture.com/europe/pictures/Furka-Pass.jpg

http://yearinlugano3.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/grimselpassroad.jpg

I look at Avel and Andrej. "Damned if we go back the way we came, perhaps damned if we go the unknown path. Andrej, do you have some sort of insight with G*d, or can you talk to the priest here to pray to ask if we would meet with weal or woe to take the pass?"

Andrej said...

(OOC: Also been looking at pics online. Very formidable-looking.)

"I could try the local priest, but as a lowly country friar I won't be viewed with much more esteem than any tramp upon the road. As for myself, nay. I could bless the party but am afraid I have no ability to see or be warned of possible outcomes."

rolls d6 (1-3 pass & 4-6 way we came): 2

"I say we try our luck with the pass and be off immediately."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Andrej, perhaps I could entreat the priests to pray on our behalf and ask the question -- how much do you think it would cost us?"

Andrej said...

Alexis?

...

Whichever way we decide, let's address one other thing before we set out. I beleive Alexis said that both Avel and Emmanuel would be competent drivers. Would my skill as a husbandman also allow me to drive the carriage? Either way, I reccommend that we keep two people in the driver's seat at all times, one to drive and another to provide look-out. That likely means Avel & one of Delfig/ Andrej as one "team" & Emmanuel & the other of Delfig/Andrej as the other. Serafina is then free to travel as she wishes. As it is our charge to return her safely, I'd prefer she stay in the carriage depsite her obvious capabilities.

Alexis said...

Husbandman, more or less, more competantly than not. In harder places, Andrej would do better standing out front of the horses and keeping them calm, and looking after their hooves or condition to see that all is right with them.

Serafina agrees to ride, if you so think, except at those places where it is wise that no one rides on the wagon but the driver.

Andrej said...

Alexis, in that case Andrej will prefer to remain topside when travelling despite the teaming idea, if all are otherwise willing, so he is ready to hop off and manage the horses in difficult conditions as you describe. Avel and Emmanuel can work out how best to rotate driving duties and Delfig may enjoy the pleasant company of Serafina.

OOC: Speaking of Serafina, what became of Delfig's D20 roll of 4? - advance apologies to Delfig :)

Alexis said...

The '4' gave no particular result.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'd like to go to a church and inquire the donation required to have the priest ask if taking the pass will result in weal or woe.

Alexis said...

A donation of 50 g.p. would be satisfactory, Delfig ... with Serafina as liaison between you and the church - the true price would be much higher.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Andrej, Avel, while I can cover the cost of this request, it will leave me with few coins for the journey ahead. What do you think?"

Andrej said...

I'm not certain the potential gain is worth the cost to you. Whatever answer might be cryptic, yes? It also seems likely that danger is ahead of us on both roads, and we'd therefore be no better off but 50 gp poorer. I say we just choose one way or the other.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Then let us brave the pass and may God have mercy on our souls so that we may make it back to Dachau."

Andrej said...

Providing Avel a chance to agree or dissent, I'm ready to move on when you guys are.

Alexis said...

I shall continue this on the next post, tomorrow.

Nice to have a full day again.

Andrej said...

Indeed. Glad to be back in the swing.

Alexis said...

(OOC: Can't do it every day; but more often, I assure you)

Avel said...

(OOC: Sorry I missed posting today guys. Was called into work early and didn't think to check the blog before I left. I'll join back up with you tomorrow)

Andrej said...

No worries on both counts, Alexis and Avel.