Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Afternoon, A Fork In The Road

Friday, May 30, 1650.

The party awakes, gathers itself together and begins to move down the road into ever thickening forest.  By noon, you come to a place where a guard post and gate has been built, to take a toll upon the road.  The toll is a silver piece per person and 3 c.p. per wheel (which is 1 s.p. for a wagon, 6 c.p. for a cart).  Animals are let by for free.

Soon after the toll gate, the party will come to a fork in the road.  The left fork reads, "To Zug."  The right fork reads, "To Chur."

30 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Serafina, do you know which fork to take?"

Alexis said...

She does not. She's never been here before, and does not know the country.

(OOC: no looking it up on a map!)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Heh. I was going to restrain myself from doing so.)

I'll look around at everyone. "Well... any guesses? It occurs to me that we did not plan so well. Perhaps we should head back to the toll gate and ask the guards for directions."

Alexis said...

'Soon after' the toll gate would translate to an hour ... so going back would use up two hours of your day. (I would have said, but it never occurred to me that you'd consider backtracking)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I'm good with that. As an ex-military guy, I've learned it never hurts to RTFM or ask for directions.)

"Unless we wish to go stumbling around, I'd rather take the time to get the right directions. Let us go back and ask."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(BTW, I will cover for whoever needs their toll paid for them, as well as for the wagon.)

Alexis said...

I've realized I made a description error; small point, but it might help. When you came down from the Furka Pass, you began to follow a stream (the source of which was the pass). Through the day it has grown into a river - about 10 yards across. That river is on your right, and follows the right fork.

Andrej said...

Could somebody un-hitch a horse and ride back for directions more quickly? Given Alexis's additional description, I'm guessing "follow the river" but it can't hurt to check.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I'm very reluctant to split us up. We won't save all that much time by sending one person."

Andrej said...

Delfig: I can cover costs for awhile thanks to Avel. Once we wrangle some loot I'll be paying you boys back in kind.

Andrej said...

Fair enough. About face.

Alexis said...

Serafina will go along, guaranteeing an out-vote against Avel, if he should feel differently.

The day has grown warm and sunny, and the party must throw off some of their clothing or else swelter before returning to the guard post. The guards seem surprised to see you. The lead among them, Balfour, inquires as to what might be wrong.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Pardon us, good guards, but we are unfamiliar with the road ahead. We are bound for Dachau. Could you tell us the safest route there, or at least tell us which road, to Zug or to Chur, would the safest route in it's general direction?"

Alexis said...

"Where might Dachau be?" asks the guard. He turns to the others. "Has anyone here heard of Dachau?"

No one has.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"What about Innsbruck or Munich? Would either of those roads take us there?"

Andrej said...

P.S. regarding the toll, I deducted for myself... should we split the cost of the carriage between the four of us (Delfig, Avel, Serafina, Andrej)?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(I paid this time. Don't worry about it.)

Alexis said...

“Now, hm … let’s see.” Balfour peers out to the east. “If you’re going to Innsbruck, sure, there’s no doubt you’d be wanting to take the Chur road, but to Munich, I’m not so sure. Could be the Chur Road would get you there the faster, but the Zug road does go right to Germany. There’s lots of German merchants that take the Zug road. But I couldn’t say for sure that the Zug road would get you to Munich any faster than the Chur road. Not certain where Munich is, that’s the problem.”

“Are you going to Vaduz?” asks another guard.

“Of course not!” says yet another. “If they were going to Vaduz, they’d know the road, wouldn’t they?”

“They might not. There’s those that go to Vaduz without knowing the Chur road. And there’s those that go only as far as Chur.”

“Those who know Chur know Vaduz, don’t they – it’s only just beyond.”

“It’s not … it’s near 20 miles beyond –“

“More,” says Balfour.

“All right, more. There’s those who don’t travel twenty miles in their whole lives.”

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"And how far down Zug will we travel to reach town?"

Alexis said...

Balfour answers, "Oh, should reach Altdorf by dusk, I'd think. About seven hours from here by carriage."

Andrej said...

"Let us make for Altdorf, then. Perhaps there we can better ascertain our course."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"The road is safe? And Altdorf has good lodgings?"

(OOC note - since we're on our own without Jan, we'll need to interact with each town and plot out our journey. If memory serves me correct (and I'm truly going on memory here, no matter that I have Alexis's campaign map bookmarked...) there are roads to Munich and we can then journey to Dachau from Munich... or find a well travelled road straight to Dachau along our path. We're going to be explorers now!)

Andrej said...

(OCC: I looked at but never studied closely Alexis's map and am resisting the urge now... so leave things in your hands... it will be exciting figuring out & taking a different route back home.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: I do remember, though, that our route down the Rhine took us west (maybe also north?) before coming south to Lake Geneva and then to Sion. What I can't remember is where Sion was in relation to the lake... west, south or east. If I understand how the Furka Pass was situated we've come north and/ or east from Sion... so we could either run back into our old course at some point east of the Rhine or take another, hopefully more direct overland road)

Alexis said...

Balfour answers, "The road is safe, and the lodgings excellent in Altdorf. Seek out 'The Chamois' if you have coin."

Chgowiz said...

"I will do indeed that. Blessings upon you for being kind to travelers."

If nobody else has any questions, we'll make for Altdorf down the "Zug" road.

Andrej said...

"Let's be off. I would enjoy the comforts of an inn this evening after our mountain crossing."

Avel said...

(OOC- I am very sorry about my lack of posts over the last week. School and work seemed to have plotted together to prevent my access to the internet. I will keep up better over the next few days)

Avel agrees on the course to Altdorf, and suggests perhaps investing in a map, even a crude one, at first opportunity.

Andrej said...

No worries Avel. Not a bad idea re: the map. Perhaps that's the in-game way we allow ourselves access to Alexis's...

Alexis said...

Road mapmaking did not come into vogue until the 1700s, with the development of sophisticated . Sorry. No maps available.

(OOC: that, and I'm a stinker)

Next Post (look for it this evening)