Thursday, January 21, 2010

Midday, Road to Montreux

Saturday, May 24, 1650

There is little to say about the road; it winds its way along the north shore of Lake Geneva, the lake beautiful and blue, the mountains in the background. The high hills are covered in vineyards, which in this season have turned green with new leaves and sprouts - too early to grow lush and cover the thousands of poles supporting the vines. You see many boats on the lake, some quite large, up to forty feet long, much of it commercial traffic.

At one point along the road, you come across a single fellow, sitting on a stump before a linen tent, slicing cheese off a block he balances on his thigh. He is dressed in leather armor, a woolen coat, and typical clothes. A great helm and large shield, a sword resting on the shield, sit on the ground near his feet. A javelin leans against the front of the tent, and a horseman's mace hangs on his belt.

67 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I murmur to Andrej - "Let's pass on... we just greet for courtesy's sake and pass on..."

I'll nod to the man and bid him a good day but I will continue on.

(OOC - see, now I'm *paranoid*! Ha! Head down, get our mission done and get outta town...)

Andrej said...

Likewise, I'll offer a cordial greeting and continue on with Delfig.

Avel said...

The man waves and grunts around a mouthful of cheese at the greeting. As the pair continues to walk on, he swallows quickly and follows a few paces.

"Before you go, sirs, and I'm sorry to bother you, but do you know how far it is to Montreux? I'm approaching the end of my food."

Chgowiz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexis said...

As he has stood up, Delfig and Andrej can see that the man is rather immense: 6'5", and nearly 220 lbs.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Oh, hello there Avel! We had no clue we were about to be joined... heh... although you're dealing with two very paranoid individuals now... so don't take this personally.)

I look behind me. "It is a day's journey. You will have food at the end of the road. Good day."

I keep my hand near my sword in case we're about to be ambushed.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Things are about to get interesting one way or the other, it seems. :) I guess this explains the recent post on "Tao of D&D" re: chargen... welcome Avel. Forgive me if we play this out a little in character, we've had a bad recent history with meeting folk on the road)

"Delfig, perhaps you should speak for us"

Andrej keeps an eye about our surroundings, paying careful attention to the linen tent and any areas that somebody could spring from to attack. He'll make a pretense of shifting the supplies on the mule and warn Emmanuel to keep a sharp eye out.

Avel said...

(OOC- Thanks for the greeting!)

The man's eyes follow Delfig's hand, then snap back up to the pair. He smiles boyishly, and spreads his hands wide, still holding the knife and cheese. Now that he's closer, the men can see that the man's dark hair and skin barely hide acne scars.

"I don't want to rob you, sirs. Truly. Perhaps I can share my lunch as an apology?"

He stands stock still, eyes not moving.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"You are saying you're out of food, but you want to share with us?"

I look at Andrej and Emmanuel.

Avel said...

(OOC- No worries Andrj. I'd prefer it, actually.)

Andrej said...

Andrej shifts from making a pretense to retrieiving a bottle of our beer. I (pull the stopper?) take a long pull and step toward Avel, presenting the bottle "Save some for Herr Delfig and our man Emmanuel, if you would. I'd like a hunk of that cheese."

Avel said...

(OOC - forgot about Emmanuel!)

The man begins to stutter.

"Well, uh, I, um, not out, but getting there. If, if, if there's going to be somewhere for me to eat at the end of the day, I can try to be friendly with what I have now."

His hands (paws?) move in front of him, offering the half eaten block of cheese and the knife, hilt first. His eyes keep flicking from Delfig to Emmanuel.

Avel said...

(OOC- sorry, I appear to be posting too slow)

Avel takes a sip from the bottle, and thrusts the cheese and knife eagerly towards Andrej.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Careful Andrej..." I warn. "We've had too many mysteries on this ill fated journey to be just taking food from the first person we meet."

As the man steps forward, I step back.

Andrej said...

I will nod to both Emmanuel and delfig "Remember our friends on the road to Lindau? Let us extend out courtesy to Avel, who may be in a simailar way"

Hoping they catch the hint, I'll wait until we've relaxed some, expecting Delfig to take the lead in conversing, then excuse myself to releive my bladder and cast "Detect Malevolence"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll simply look at the crazy cleric and the large man silently, my hand obviously on my sword.

Andrej said...

I'll take the cheese as offered and also introduce myslef as Friar Andrej. "We'll set you right for the cheese, friend, no worries."

(paws?)

Avel said...

If Andrej takes the offered food, Avel will step back a pace or two.

"Mysteries? I'm sorry for your troubles then. My name is Avel. One fewer mystery on the road, eh?"

Avel said...

(Big hands! Making a bit of a joke)

Once Delfig reaches for his weapon, Avel conspicuously stares at him, and takes another few steps backwards.

"Perhaps you'd feel better if I returned to my stump?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I'd feel better if we'd gotten to Montreux without meeting anyone else. This journey has been cursed and I do not trust passerbyers on the road nearly as much as my companion here."

Andrej said...

"Perhaps a moment or two amongst ourselves to discuss things, Avel, then I shall repay you for the cheese. You will be at your stump, then?"

Avel said...

Avel nods, and walks facing the group back to the stump he was resting on, sitting down upon reaching it. He digs into a pack resting next to his seat, pulling out a loaf of bread and a stick of jerky.

Andrej said...

Once Avel has moved off Delfig and I talk:

"Let me cast my spell of detection, Delfig. If the man menas us harm we'll finish it here and enjoy his cheese. If not, a strong sword arm along with us to Montreux will be a boon. Really, this herieux business has made you overly jumpy my friend. I think the lad is as scared of us as we are him."

Avel said...

(OOC - Is Andrej dressed like a Catholic priest, or wearing any otherwise identifying clothes or objects?)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I look agape at Andrej.

"My friend, are you serious!? Jan is DEAD thanks to us falling in with two murderers! We were almost ambused by villiens, we've had animals attacking us, every step we've taken has led us to another downfall or near death and another!

Jan was a Man of G*d - and he was our companion. To just shrug off his death and start collecting the riffraff on the road... that hardly seems smart. I care not if his intentions are good or not - who would be next to fall? You? Emmanuel? I? For a strong back? I think not!"

I gasp for air after that long rant. At that, I turn away, tears in my eyes thinking of the wrong choices and Jan's death.

(OOC - man it has been a long time since I could play a character having a meltdown hissy fit. So here you go.)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrej said...

(OOC: big wooden cross hung around his neck. otherwise, dressed as a traveller with cloak, studded armor and high boots.)

Avel said...

Avel seems embarrassed after Delfig's rant. He closely studies alternately his lunch and his shoes.

Andrej said...

"You mistake me, Delfig. It is with Jan in mind that I gather the "riff-raff". That boy yonder is big and strong and will be of use in a fight. I journey to retrieve Hornung's lady with you out of loyalty and love for both you and Jan... but make no mistake. I have forgotten nothing of my own wishes. I will see the Herieuxs off to God's judgemnt before I cease drawing breath and I'll need help to do so. That one there looks to be handy in a fight."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I open and shut my mouth a few times, pretty much emotionally expended after all that.

"I don't know what to tell you. I have no use for another in a fight, but I have no real argument for you. I just feel that all our choices have been ill and that the best course for us is to press on as fast as possible."

Andrej said...

"Trust in me, Delfig, as I have trusted in you by setting aside my desired path to walk upon yours. Let my prayer to the Allmighty guide our judgement here."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I say nothing more, aside from a shrug.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Avel, actually the holy symbol is written as "small, chestnut" but it is displayed as my prayer beads)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I think we can all guess the result of the detect malevolence spell. I won't tell the party what to do, or who to take along with them. I know that Delfig in particular is really squeezing out the character for all that he's worth - if you fellows decide to take up weapons against one another, I won't stop you.

To Avel, yes it is quite clear he is a catholic friar - not a priest, he hasn't reached that point of recognition in the church)

Alexis said...

(OOC: I'm being forced out the door, also. So tomorrow, gentlemen ... however you work it out for yourselves).

Andrej said...

Alexis, providing that we are far enough away as before (the villeins on the way to Lindau) I'll stand so my back is to Avel and try to appear as if I'm still speaking with Delfig. I will cast detect malevolence and make my way toward Avel.

Avel said...

Avel sits and eats wordlessly. His shield, previously on the ground, is in his lap, ostensibly serving as a huge plate.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Which apparently is successful and now you know he's not malevolent LOL - so now on with the show! :> )

Andrej said...

(OOC: Noted, Alexis. Delfig, if your last shrug indicates resigned acceptance of the crazy cleric's wishes, let's be off. If not, drop me a line off-line)

Andrej said...

Let's take a short break and finish off this bottle of beer. If Avel is open to sharing some cheese, jerky and bread (1 lb. each for 3 of us), I'll provide him 5 lbs. of beets. Gotta get your veggies, you know. Once we all get cozy if you'd like to just throw your rations into the group supply we'll share it out.

"So Avel, tell uss how you've come upon the road to Montreux."

Andrej said...

that's 1 lb total food three time for three pounds, not nine pounds. i'm not trying to rob you. :)

Avel said...

(OOC - I'll post up until I need head over to work, at 4:10.)

Avel hands over what he has - a pound of beef jerky, the rest of the one pound block of cheese, and two loaves of bread. He seems dubious at the beets, but takes them without comment.

"I've been wandering for... just less than a year now. Work can be surprisingly difficult to find. Montreaux is just the next stop on the road for me. Hopefully, I'll be able to get something more to eat when I get there. I admit that I didn't prepare properly at my last stop.

Are you headed to Montreaux for business?"

Andrej said...

"Yes, bussiness" I take the food Avel provids a split one loaf and 1/2 the cheese amongst the four of us. The rest of it I'll pack back up.

"Worry not, Avel, you will not starve as long as you journey with us... provided you can make good use of that sword when the time comes."

I'll share with Avel that I'm from the Cummae and a catholic friar. I won't ask after his beliefs, but will be open to any such discussion. Otherwise I'm ready to get going tomorrow.

Chgowiz said...

I remain uncharacteristically silent, but I'm also impatient to get going to Montreux as soon as possible. I keep Andrej and/or the donkey between me and "Avel".

Andrej said...

(OOC: Nicely played all around guys. That was a fun little exchange)

Alexis said...

As you continue along the lake (presuming all three of you are now together, having bundled up Avel's equipment), you pass through the town of Viviscus. Montreaux is only two miles beyond. A night's lodging there will cost a s.p. each, and 2 s.p. for the horse. I've only just remembered that you were never charged for sleeping in Lausanne, so we will just assume you camped near the city walls. Montreux does not have a wall, so there is no fee for entering.

Andrej said...

Let's continue on toward Montreaux and find ourselves a spot at the inn. Delfig/ Avel: With Emmanuel and the mule that's 3 sp of cost beyond ourselves... I recommend we each pay 2 silvers to put the party up.

Andrej said...

Alexis is there a church in Montreaux? Local clergy? Of what denomination?

Avel said...

I will throw in my 2 sp

Alexis said...

As it has a French name, and likely a larger French population, I'd say Montreux (there's no 'a' in the name, though I must admit that's driving me crazy also, as I keep spelling it wrong) must be Roman Catholic.

Andrej said...

Thanks. Is there a local church I can see? If not, I was wondering at how well-received I could expect to be in general if I set up shop to offer my priestly services (hear comnfessions, maybe cats a bless etc...) and leave a dish out for donations?

Alexis said...

There are rules about such things. A priest builds a church, or is given a church, within a Bishop's Province within an Archbishop's diocese. The most Andrej could do would be to apply to a local priest as a curate ... which Andrej would likely fail to gain, as he is only first level. Typically, a first level cleric will either live as a friar in the countryside (with little or no income), or serve as an acolyte (church whipping boy) with the hopes of ultimately being given a post as curate. An alternative would be to set up as a tutor under a local deacon, who also tends to treat underlings like shit.

I'm not being discouraging - it is only that in a civilized society, such ideas as you are having are almost always denied to outsiders, because they are outsiders. If you were a local priest, you'd go smack around some stranger cutting in on your income.

Andrej said...

Thanks. No worries, I understand completely.

Andrej said...

I'm ready to move on to Montreux and its closest inn.

Avel said...

(As am I)

While we're on the road, Avel asks Andrej a few questions.

"Business, then. I going to be forward here, but do you have any need for more business? I'm looking for something to sustain myself. The roads can be dangerous, even close to towns like this. I can handle myself fairly well in a fight, or I can always offer my services as a porter."

Andrej said...

I appreciate your forwardness. I will respond in kind. I too am in need of sustaining work and have no means to pay you for the same. For now, though, we are performing a task of some small delicacy on behalf of a friend of Delfig's... we are retrieving for him a person who dwells in Sion. I can tell you no more of this for now. Later, maybe, with Delfig's permission.

We'll be returning to Dachau with this person under our proteciton. If you care to travel with us and prove yourself a trustworthy and companion, you will share in the goodwill of the man who awaits us in Dachau. He is a man of no small stature and means, I assure you, and at his word or need you will likely find yourself in some meaningful work. Perhaps we four will find some work together, God willing.

Avel said...

"Well, friend, it sounds as good a proposition as any. I still have quite a bit of money left, so at least I'm in no danger of starving. As long as your two companions have no objection, I'd be happy to accompany you. Having the gratitude of powerful men is never a bad thing."

Andrej said...

"Emmanuel should have no objections. Delfig... we'll see."

Chgowiz said...

(OOC: Not here. All hell breaking loose at work. Go do what you're going to do.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: My last week day off and I am stuck filling out forms and documents, scanning them and sending them. What a pain. So I haven't been able to do anything today except that and other business)

And still it is two days to Sion. Never seems to end, huh? I will presume that Delfig pays the s.p. for both Montreux and Lausanne, and I will begin the next post.

Avel said...

(OOC - Sorry man. Should we wait?)

Alexis said...

Ah, I can't quite do that. I need to know if Andrej intends to wait in Montreux the next day, on Sunday. You will note that you arrive in Montreux Saturday night.

There is no requirement that Andrej take the Sunday as a day of rest; it is something Jan would have done, being most pious, but he was also higher level and much older. It would be quite common for a younger, more active cleric to pass over the Lord's Day if he or she felt more substantive matters were at hand. Still, I can't make up Andrej's mind (nor that of the rest of the party), and so I need to know before I post.

Avel said...

"Andrej, do you wish to press on? I understand today is the Lord's Day, but there seems to be some urgency in your task. I'm certain He will forgive us."

Andrej said...

Let us be off on Sunday. Andrej only asks for an extra hour or so beyond what is typical of him in the morning to pray and contemplate the remiander of out journey. The party is free to join me if they wish.

Avel said...

Avel will join Andrej in prayer, counting off beads on a small wooden rosary.

Andrej said...

At the competion of prayers, Andrej fixes a wide smile upon his friends and an approving slap on the back of Avel "Perhaps that is enough for the Allmighty this day. Let us be off to Sion and to hopefully brighter days!"

Alexis said...

Next Post.