Friday, January 15, 2010

After Sunrise, Carriage Wreck

Tuesday, May 20, 1650

Emmanuel's arrival on the road, along with the two guards, begins a sharing of information.  Emmanuel's guards, Tahbert and Everard, have a writ from the Prefect that the guards in Bern should show cooperation with Delfig and Andrej regarding the pursuit of their friend.  As the four guardsmen begin to talk, Emmanuel asks a load of questions regarding the scene.  Far from falling apart, he begins to walk over the ground himself.

Almost at once he notices something, and calls attention to it.  There are two streaks in the blood on the floor of the carriage, and a spattering of blood that follows from the door of the carriage and along the side of the road for fifteen feet.  Then it stops, abruptly.  This was too subtle to be seen in the torchlight of last night.

It starts a new search of the area by all four guardsmen.

31 comments:

Andrej said...

Let us join in the search, being cautious to step lightly and disturb little and Andrej will be looking specifically for tracks of any kind, understanding as a cleric he's not a trracker by trade.

Does the blood trail proceed in the direction we were headed or in the direction we came? Is there any clue where the trail ends abruptly that would indicate what happened (i.e. more blood here to possibly indicate where the bleeding person may have stopoped briefly, as if to mount a horse or cast/ receive a healing spell?

Alexis said...

In the direction you're headed. Hengist will say that it could have been mounting a horse, there would be a pool of blood in the place where the exertion was made. Possibly a spell - but why drag the body out of the carriage to here, and then cast healing? Hengist believes the two trails in the carriage floor are heels.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

What direction - towards Bern? Back towards Lagenthal?

"So, we know that someone survived, possibly both, and then there is no trace."

I look up, to see what is above the area directly above where the spatter was. I'll also look at the ground carefully in the direction, to see if there are more horse tracks or footprints (other than ours) or any sign of something dropped (like a rag missed in the dark)

Alexis said...

Delfig,

Towards Bern. No tracks, no footprints.

Tahbert has been examining where the carriage hit the tree. He pronounces that it must have been moving very quickly, judging from the destruction to the axle. What happened to the driver when it hit? Did he ride on top? Did he jump off?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I suggest someone ride a little ways, maybe half an hour, towards Bern while we search and investigate. See if you see anything long the road."

I know I'm being a pita, but is there any sign of someone/something in the trees - broken branches or some such near where the blood disappears?

Andrej said...

At the risk of splitting the party (as it is) I wonder the benefit of one group leaving swiftly on the carriage and another staying behind to search for clues. Thoughts? (OOC and IC)

Andrej said...

(You're reading my mind Delfig, only I think whomever leaves should ride stright through to Bern.)

Alexis said...

Heinrich has been told by Everard that they are to take the carriage and return to Langenthal. They give the writ to Emmanuel, who gives it to Andrej.

Tahbert begins walking back along the road, in the direction from where the carriage came, searching through the woods.

Meanwhile, Wenzel has dropped into the gully, and is walking back along it.

Alexis said...

Delfig, about twenty feet ahead of the carriage, you find a place where last autumn's leaves have been torn up, over a distance of about eight feet. This ends at a tree trunk, where you find a very little bit of blood.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Strike previous comment.)

First thing, I'll look up the tree to see what I see above me. If I do not see anything, I'll look closely at the ground for blood or footprints. I'll take my sword and poke it into the ground, about a foot.

Andrej said...

Sorry, but are you saying that all four guards are now leaving, or will Wenzel and Heinrich remain while the other two return the carriage?

Alexis said...

Delfig,

Nothing. But you may conjecture that Carlo flew off the carriage when it hit, and bounced through the leaves, here.

Andrej,

The first point is essentially it. Everard was told, if they found the carriage, to return. Here's the carriage.

Wenzel, about thirty yards down the gully, will call for the attention of others.

Andrej said...

Delfig, you stay here and search around for Carlo and I'll see what Wenzel has found?

Alexis said...

Everard looks over Delfig's shoulder. "Look here," he says. He shows Delfig the signs that show the driver got up and walked to the road.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'll follow the tracks to the road and look to see if he fell again or any other sign that he continued towards Bern.

Alexis said...

Impossible. The tracks vanish at the road.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Then I'll follow Andrej and see what has been found.

Alexis said...

Wenzel has discovered, what he thinks, is the profession of the peasant. There's a stick with several birds feet tied to it, and a mass of partridge feathers about. "The stick was dropped here, and wild animals tore the birds apart. Something must have made the peasant drop his stick."

Chgowiz said...

"So the peasant was possibly carrying birds, was knifed. We have a carriage that suddenly halted, the driver possibly thrown and walking to the road. We have the occupants of the carriage possibly alive, one injured. Everything seems to end at the road, but head towards Bern.

It sounds like (ahem) foul play, given the signs point to the peasant being murdered. Since these guards are commanded back, Andrej and Emmanuel, I suggest we move on our way but keep our eyes open.

Andrej said...

So to recap... the carriage was moving swiftly down the road when it ran off and into a tree for some unknown reason. The horses were cut from the carriage and are gone. Carlo was thrown from the carriage, but seems to have stood up and walked to the road. Inside the carriage, at least one person was hurt badly enough to bleed and was likley drug several paces down the road (same place Carlo seems to have ended up?) There, all trace of anyone vanishes or is beyond our skill to percieve. Meanwhile we have the dead peasant, kinifed in the back. Did I miss anything?

Andrej said...

eerie

Andrej said...

Just to draw the question out of the text aboveand rephrase... does all trace of Carlo and the carriage occupants disappear at the same place in the road?

Alexis said...

No. Carlo seems to have walked out of the woods to the road towards the carriage, coming out about six feet from the carriage's front left wheel.

Andrej said...

At the point where the blood trail ends, we can see no large hoofprints as what might have been left by the large horses that pulled the carriage?

Also, I'd like to check the harnessing... how many cuts had to be made to free the horses.

Alexis said...

There wouldn't be any footprints or wheel marks on the road (or there would be hundreds of them).

As I don't know a horse harness with perfect clarity, I'm going to say exactly the number of cuts that were perfectly necessary.

Everard will note that the horses appear to have fallen at the point where the carriage hit; the earth is dug up, probably by their hooves ... but that clearly, neither horse broke a leg, as they are both gone. He wishes he had the skill to track them, but that's past his ability.

Alexis said...

The guards are going to pack up and return to Langenthal. They wish you good luck. Emmanuel is anxious to follow Delfig's suggestion of continuing to Bern.

Andrej said...

"As I don't know a horse harness with perfect clarity, I'm going to say exactly the number of cuts that were perfectly necessary."

Fair enough, I was just trying to get some reassurance that it was something that happened after the carriage crashed and not before. I'm wondering if the horses were still harnessed when it hit the tree.

In any event, barring the possibility of making a quick sweep of the area beyond what we've already searched, I'm ready to do as Delfig said. If the guards are willing, can we all spread out beyond the road and take 10 minutes to scan the area. If that turnsup nothing new, let's be off toward Bern.

Alexis said...

Apparently, you've turned up all you can find. With a nod from Delfig, I'll set up the next post.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I'm good. I was just being patient. :)

Andrej said...

:)

Alexis said...

Next Post, then (10 minutes)