Monday, December 28, 2009

Mid-Afternoon, the Langenthal Inn

Monday, May 19, 1650

Following the landing of Andrej back upon the ground, and the safe retrieval of potential victims from the fire, the pair of rescuers are embraced by the crowd, lauded, raised by their legs up from the ground and carried about for some many minutes.  The crowd promises a great feast, the crowd promises that medals will be forged, the crowd promises many things.

Carlo promises that he will be ready as soon as he - with Emmanuel's help - return the tarp back to its place.

M. Herieux's words upon greeting the two of you are "Capital, sirs!  Absolutely capital!  The crowd wishes to take you to Langenthal, and introduce you there to the council and to put up a great dinner in your honor!"

As you think of this, you find Jan looking worried.  "We must be on our way," he says.

14 comments:

Alexis said...

(OOC: thank you both for the Christmas break. I trust all had a fine holiday.

For the last little adventure, I will give you 10 x.p. for every hit point of the people you saved. It works out to 248 each).

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you as well! I had an excellent holiday with family and then some quiet time. That was a treat. Thanks for the xp! Next time, I will not be so quick to dismiss ideas...)

If Jan is so inclined, we'll let Emmanuel help Carlo with the tarp.

I'll attempt to get Jan and Andrej alone without Herieux, sister and others in earshot... perhaps by saying we need to rest a bit and confer.

Alexis said...

I think that might be difficult. Even backing off the greater crowd - eighty relieved people - might prove a task.

Andrej said...

(OOC: Had a fine break and an excellent Christmas... I'm home from work but with hands full taking care of mending family members, but I'll be checking in so let's have at it)

Andrej calls to Jan "Jan... relax my friend. Let us feast and be on our way on the morrow. What ill could possibly befall us in the meantime?"

I cast Delfig a look, as if to say "what can we do otherwise?"

Alexis said...

Jan will insist that you must go - that it will be not one day's loss, but two, for you cannot be certain that another carriage with space will be by to collect you - thus forcing the party to walk to Lausanne.

Jan begins shouting at the people: "FRIENDS!" he cries. "We thank you for your hospitality, but -"

Whereupon he is overwhelmed by the shouting of the crowd.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I ask Carlo how long can he delay his journey - if for an hour or two, then we will do what we can to extract ourselves.

If not, I whisper to Andrej and Jan that perhaps we can somehow persuade Herieux to stand in for us as a member of the brave group of people...

Alexis said...

Aha! Herieux has imposed himself as the leader of the crowd, as though he were from the town of Langenthal himself, a long resident of that town, and full of town pride in his insistence that the town be compelled by this good crowd here to bring these Heroes in and give them every regard!

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - crap and double crap. If I was able to cast the spell, I'd try and put Friendship on Herieux and have him stand in our stead. I doubt that I could pull that off.)

I sigh, resigned. "It would seem, good friar, that the Lord has allowed us to save these good people as well as given these people some good cheer. Unless you're willing to possibly incur the suspicions of these folks, I think it's clear that we best go with them... and walk in appreciation for the fortune that we have found ourselves in."

I whisper (as best I can) to Andrej - "Keep your eye on that scoundrel. I have been around con men before, and he strikes me as one that would as soon land us in trouble were it to benefit him. He's managed to turn the crowd to his benefit. Unless you have some other suggestions, I'm reluctant to try and combat him on these terms."

Alexis said...

(OOC: I am sure that you would be able to extricate yourself from these folks, except that it would certainly result in their poor feelings towards you. I hope none of this comes across as my railroading)

As the crowd begins to huddle you along - fairly considerately - towards the road for town, following Herieux's insistence, Jan will come along with you long enough to say that he will leave Emmanuel with you, but that he himself must continue on to Sion. He will look for you to arrive there two days after himself, by which time he hopes that Serafina will be ready to leave.

Andrej said...

(OOC: See? Like I said, what could possibly go wrong?)

Nay, Delfig, your first instinct is correct. We go along for now. Enjoy some beer, yes, and then find our way back to the road.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - no, I don't feel railroaded - this feels pretty logical. It's Herieux that's railroading, which has Delfig's attention - but that's an NPC with his own agenda, not the DM.)

I ask Jan for specifics of where to find him in Sion so that I can easily locate him, and for directions on how to get to Sion from Lausanne. I beg his forgiveness and promise we'll be there, G*d willing.

Alexis said...

Emmanuel will have the specifics - Jan has to run for the carriage, else he will miss it completely.

He runs, and speaks to Emmanuel as the carriage pulls away.

Meanwhile, Delfig and Andrej find themselves taken to Langenthal.

Alexis said...

(OOC: I should add, Delfig couldn't ask Carlo anything, as Carlo was apart from the crowd and Delfig had not extricated himself. Forgot to explain that)

Andrej said...

Andrej rubs his hands and smacks his lips in anticipation, but will do as Delfig advises and keep an eye on Herieux, whom he still dislikes.

(OOC: No railroading at all. We're not defenseless as players... I assume we've both played and run games long enough to know how and where to turn aside should we see fit. Honestly, my biggest enjoyment in any game is exploration and discovery. That doesn't need to be a sandbox. There's plenty to discover just staying on the road so far.