Friday, November 20, 2009

Morning, Crossing the Riss

Friday, May 16, 1650

Jumping ahead, the party encounters nothing along the road.  They find the Inn that Emmanuel remembered, a rather sad hovel consisting of four rooms, located upon the Riss River - but the cost is quite reasonable, only 7 c.p. for the night, each.  If this proves too much for Andrej, I'm sure it will be worked out somehow.

The town of Biberach consists largely of the schloss pictured, the population consisting of courtiers or those working directly for the Count.  All in all, the population is just over a thousand.  The town is a Free City, which means it and members thereof are exempt from many of the taxes of the Empire.

The Riss is a good wide river, a good fifty yards, and requires a ferry to cross, particularly for the donkey.  The ferry will be another five c.p., each.  This, too, I presume the party is able to manage.

Which brings me to the important element of this post.  As the party is crossing the Riss, and three quarters of the way, Delfig notices something odd moving in the water, about seventy yards upstream.  It is moving perpendicular to the river ... but it is not for another few minutes that you can be sure it is something swimming, and its head appears to be held above the surface.  It is moving faster than the raft, striking straight for the shore.

As it moves ahead, it becomes indistinct again ... until it climbs out of the water, at about the point when the ferry is about to reach the opposite dock.

It is a white stag.

12 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Prior to taking the ferry, may I ask if I could have practiced some more on my tune at Biberach and, more importantly, if discreet inquiries would have led us to any information about grims or the thugs on the road?

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(Apologies for the deletion - I wanted to ask those questions prior to acting on what you described - as well, I'd like to rememorize Command.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: You'll really have to spend an entire day on your tune for it to be able to count. That will probably come on Sunday. I always assume that players are rememorizing their spells the next morning without needing to be told - that's only an issue when the party is under continuous pursuit or is unable to sleep or rest. Takes 15 minutes per spell level to rememorize the next morning ... at low levels, no time at all.)

Biberach is such a closed town (costs a full g.p. to enter), that none of those bright enough to answer your questions about the thugs would be outside the walls. However, if you want to say you paid to get in, I will roll back time enough for that. The crusty innkeeper, however, knows pretty much the same as Emmanuel, and is not blessed with much intelligence besides.

I am attempting to move the campaign along, perhaps a bit fast. I have no trouble if you want to insert a visit into Biberach the evening before.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: I don't want to slow anything down. At this point, I consider the thugs/grims more of a possible hinderance than an actual threat, given our previous actions. I am concerned for the trip back - I may take some time to see if any know of these creatures/thugs before we venture that way again, we'll have to go by there on the way back to Dachau).

As soon as I can tell it's the stag, I will quietly nudge my companions and point it out to them.

"Luck and blessings follow... or a wolf in stag's skin? What do you think?"

Alexis said...

When everyone has had a good look, the stag will move out of sight and into the trees.

(OOC: I'm going to move away from the computer now; I'll be around later, if anyone wants to post - I know Delfig will disappear for the weekend :) ... but I will keep looking in).

Andrej said...

(OOC: I'll be in and out as well, just in case)

Andrej can still pay his way, but he's getting low.

In answer to Delfig, "I know not brother. Maybe both... sometimes a boon carries with it a burden. Let us call it a sign of opportunity and be ready for it when it comes."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC: And as fate would have it, I'm doing a conversion on Saturday morning, so I did get to check in.)

Did anyone else on the ferry notice?

I'll be able to assist you, Andrej. I worry about the possibilities of that stag - I've encountered shape changers - and although they seemed to want to blend in, who knows in this case? Perhaps we should be on the listen for wolves...

Andrej said...

"Thank you, brother. Ihave no experieince with shapeshifters, aside from what hears in the old tales. Lord willing, we shall be ready no matter what the stag portends."

(I'll await Alex's next description or Delfig's next move)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - I'm ready to proceed with the landing unless someone else was on the ferry with us and noticed the stag, or unless Jan/Emmanuel have something to say about the stag.)

Alexis said...

(OOC: Gawd, never 'Alex' ... you'll be calling me 'Al' next. Hah.)

Continued on Next Post (writing it now)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Woops. I guess I'm glad I threw "Alex" out there before "Al" then.)