Monday, November 9, 2009

Late Afternoon, Descending to Ulm

Wednesday, May 14, 1650

You find most of the day is spent moving down out of the hills into the Danube valley, through country which is extraordinarily civilized and quite beautiful, the bottom land spreading out before you like a great green sheet.  You see hills, the same hills you are descending from, strung out towards the west and circling around to the north, far in the distance.  The day is remarkably clear and sunny, and by mid-morning you have to shuck some of your gear in order to be comfortable walking in the rising heat.

Jan explains that he is anxious to see Ulm.  He has not since early 1658, only months after the city was virtually destroyed by French armies.  He supposes that the reconstruction he witnessed prior will have been largely accomplished, and Ulm will be a new city.  He suggests entering the city and 'supplying ourselves' tomorrow.  There is an Inn he knows of outside the city gates which will give him free lodging for a night, "In exchange for a deed I did for the owner years back."  Jan does not allow himself to be pressed on the circumstances of the deed.

You meet many people along the road today.  A carter, hauling peat, travels along with you for a mile before you leave him behind.  Not long after that, you travel in the company of an old Jewish man and his daughter; Jan exchanges a ten pounds of food and a remove curse for an good tinderbox ... the Jewish man moves from a bent position to upright, grateful that his lower spine has been "released from the demon that has gripped it this last two years."  The daughter, Zephora, looks very approvingly at Delfig.  They take their leave ten miles from Ulm, turning to travel north.

You also meet, coming your way, a veteran of the war between France and Spain, who is walking alone back to his family in Munich.  His name is Witan, and he and Delfig exchange information as you all rest at the same watering place, giving the donkey a chance to drink, but their families do not know one another.  He tells tales that the war does not go well for either side, that thousands have died to no good purpose and that he no longer knows nor cares whether he is Catholic or Protestant.

That is where we reach the present.
_

14 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will break out into a small song when Zephora catches my eye, a bit of a melody, strummed on my lute. I'll give her a wink as well and see if she's willing to talk when her father is being cured by Jan.

When we meet Witan, sside from giving a bit of info about my familial name, I will not tell Witan much more about my family. I ask him if he has news of Ulm, and I will let him know of the strange goings on in Ausburg and see if word of that had reached back to him yet.

Does Jan think of anything strange of the white stag that Andrej and I saw?

Alexis said...

Zephora looks very unwilling to talk; unless you want to impose your friends spell ... (we can go back in time slightly if you want to run that encounter).

Witan hasn't heard anything about Augsburg except from you.

As I said, Jan hardly saw the stag, and has no impression of it.

Andrej said...

Andrej wishes to take no particular action at this time so is ready to move on when you guys are.

(OOC: Delfig, Jan menitoned in the last thread he didn't even see the stag by the time he woke up and got involved)

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

No, I won't impose upon her. I was still a bit freaked out by the wolf and didn't recall Jan saying that. I am more embarassed by my lack of skill.

I'll just fiddle with my lute, trying to put together a good melody for a tribute to Hornung as I was doing the previous day.

Alexis said...

(OOC: For the record, I'm a bit wrecked today. Rough night. I'll write the next followup post to this after some hours)

Andrej said...

(OOC: No worries Alexis, we'll be here when you're ready)

"So Delfig, know you any folk songs of the Cumanni?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"I'm sorry, my friend, but I do not... if you hum the tune, I'm sure I can follow it and pick it up..."

Andrej said...

Adrej shall do his best to hum and clap out the beat of an upbeat song fit for being played upon the lyre

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I follow along as best as I can, making sure not to annoy the large man.

Andrej said...

(OOC: did you mean Andrej? He's only 5'4... you tower over him... :)

P.S. Delfig, I sent you an e-mail to the addy posted on your main blog)

Alexis said...

Regarding Cumani culture, the Cumans were peoples you can investigate, Andrej. Modern parlance calls them the 'Kipchak'. I found this for music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NrJDMv56U

Halfway through, the music changes to something you might hum for Delfig's benefit.

The images aren't half bad, either.

Alexis said...

I should add: yes, I know the images are Kazakh; there are various similarities, as the Cumans came from that region about the 9th century. The clothes that are less Oriental in style would be correct for what Andrej remembers of his culture.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - Andrej - got it, thank you. Want to respond to it when I can give some time to thought.

Alexis - this is why I enjoy your game - have fun, learn and be in a vastly different place than I would be as just "me". Thanks for the links. The pictures are really interesting! The music is not what I expected.)

Andrej said...

(OOC: Good stuff Alexis, I've actually been wondering and wanting something like this but wanted it to come about naturally somehow, through the course of play. I'll be looking deeper...)