Friday, October 23, 2009

Morning, the Pig Tavern

Monday, May 12, 1650

For three days Delfig has rested, gaining back three of his hit points.  In that time Anshelm has said goodbye to his friends, until better times, while Tiberius has simply left town for the three days.  Kazimir has rested himself.  The market fair opened on Sunday after outdoor services; the market offered a rather paltry selection but some little entertainment was much appreciated by the townsfolk.

On Monday morning, Jan the Friar finds Delfig in bed at the Pig.  "I did not know you were here until just a short time ago," he says.  "I had wondered why you did not seek me out."  Apparently, he has been to see the paladin Hornung, and has already been told the story.  "I will go with you to see Serafina," he says.  "It is not a dangerous road, but it will be easier for her if I am there."

He then puts his hands upon Delfig and heals the 7 points Delfig lacks.
_

17 comments:

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"Friar, your generosity is very welcome. Thank you for healing me. I was unable to find healing in the aftermath and I dared not risk going out and possibly being attacked by those creatures again - I'm sure they will seek revenge against me."

"Is it far? How long will it take us to get there?"

Alexis said...

Jan: "It is in Sion. It will take us two weeks with good weather, perhaps a little less, perhaps a little more. Gather your things together, I had hoped to set out this very morning."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I nod and collect my belongings into my pack.

"Will we need to gather any provisions, food or water? Will there be anything you require, Friar?"

Alexis said...

Jan, "I have fifty pounds of provisions, including flour, leeks, some moldy potatoes and a little meat and cheese, along with six bottles of wine. If you will pay for your passage along the roads, your night's lodgings and for a few provisions along the way, we shall be content for sixteen days."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

(OOC - just like before, I leave about 4pm Central for the day - and I probably will wait till Monday for further posts, if that's OK?)

"Of course Friar, and if I can be of assistance to you in lodging, please allow me."

I'll finish up any preparations, doing my best to stash the heavy crossbow from my previous 'adventures' to make it as non-conspicuous as possible (I'll even go so far as to make sure it's not something I could get to easily in combat - but I do want to try and hang onto it.) I'll don my leather armor. and go downstairs. I'll leave a message with Helmunt to let Tiberius and Kazimir know that I shall be gone for almost a month in travel. I'll also leave Helmunt with another gold piece as a thank you.

"I am ready, Friar."

Alexis said...

Jan nods smartly, and leads you down the stairs of the Inn. You get a chance to wave a goodbye to Helmunt, who looks worried as you leave and then beams as you promise to be back. Out on the street, you find a donkey waiting, with Emmanuel the cotter holding the donkey's reins. Jan tells you that Emmanuel is coming, "... as he is more familiar with the road than I."

Emmanuel nods and says, "Good morning, sir," with uncharacteristic respect. It's clear that you've risen in the cotter's estimation, that he no longer sees you as an equal, but as a better. You can guess that he's learned something of your exploits in Dachau.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I smile at Emmanuel and nod and greet him in return "Guten Morgen. How does the day find yourself?"

I'll look to see if it's OK to put my pack on the donkey and take a look around. How does the reconstruction go? What do I see?

Alexis said...

Emmanuel takes Delfig's pack and adds it to the donkey. "It's a fine day, sir, if the weather holds. Looks a might dreary, could be rain later on."

"I've told you, Emmanuel, it won't be rain," says Jan. "Come alone now."

The townspeople have been working hard on the square and virtually all the rubble has disappeared, and the hole filled. A group of pavers are working on the center of the square, and masons are repairing the steps of the church. A few of the residents on the Pig's street, including Helmunt's good for nothing brother, are painting their shop fronts. There are no signs of anyone fleeing the town ... it may be that the incident has cleaned a few of the less valuable people out and left the virtuous behind.

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will follow Jan as we make our way. Which gate is he heading towards?

"Have you seen any signs of the shapechangers and their ilk, Friar? Do you think they're gone?"

Alexis said...

Jan is moving towards the west gate, which you've been through before.

"No, I do not think we've seen the last of them," Jan answers. "We have seen the door open, that is all. It has been done towards some dark purpose, one that will test us and test our faith - God grant that I will be back before that test comes."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

"You seem to know a great deal about these creatures... would you mind sharing that with me? They were quite skilled in manipulating the situation to their advantage and I'd like to be better prepared for them."

[OOC - is it common knowledge of how to tell these creatures from human, some sort of test? Not that I'm paranoid about everyone around me now... ]

Alexis said...

Jan: "I know little more than you. Humanoids who can shape themselves as any person at will, who act without remorse and who lie without conscience - who do not fight their battles directly but instead gate horrible creatures to wreak havoc ... I cannot believe that they are now dead. I think they must have done all this to a purpose, and that they have with pleasure watched these horrific things occur. What purpose has it served for them, this is what plagues me."

He turns and urges Emmanuel to begin. "We must go," Jan says to Delfig. "I have an associate waiting upon the road who will come with us. I do not wish to make him wait."

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

I will walk beside Jan. Once we get outside of the gates and out of sight of the guards, I will uncover my heavy crossbow and keep it within reach on the donkey, with a bolt nearby.

[OOC - I'm going to have to look up to see the specifics of walking around with a crossbow. My guess is that they weren't kept loaded, but I'd like some historical confirmation.]

"Jan, why is this symbol important to this person we are travelling to meet? Who is Serafina?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

Huh. According to some quick/dirty Google searching, they *could* be kept loaded for awhile. What is your ruling on that? Would there be any sort of penalty or possibility of the weapon breaking beyond the usual possibilities?

Alexis said...

(OCC: Our policy has been that the crossbow can be kept 'three-quarters' loaded ... which means one round must be spent tightening the string and loading the bolt before firing. Thereafter, of course, the entire loading procedure must be gone through)

Jan will ask, "Does the road worry you, my friend? Do you not feel tired being on the edge of your fear all the time?"

Delfig Kôlhupfer said...

[OOC - done. I will keep the crossbow so loaded.]

"Good Friar, after the events of the past few days, and my inability to navigate a good and safe road, I think it's best to keep on guard a bit longer. You haven't answered my questions, though?"

Alexis said...

Next post.